Missing MS Width and Gain Controls

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

Missing MS Width and Gain Controls

Postby DJS » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:26

Who moved my cheese? My god things have been changed in these 10.1 mix busses and the MS strip which is now almost useless. I read in the manual ...

Width Control
The Middle and Side Mixing controls which existed in the old-style busing connection are absent temporarily. So,
when using the new General Mixing Buses, users will need to change the balance between the Middle and Side
levels by using Clip Gains & Clip Envelopes.
The direct M&S mixing functionality will return in a subsequent release of the Pyramix software.

And I am trying to add a reverb strip using a general purpose mix buss and cannot find the send level controls.

Oh Merging, what are you doing to us? :?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

fl

Re: Missing MS Width and Gain Controls

Postby fl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 14:34

DJS wrote:And I am trying to add a reverb strip using a general purpose mix buss and cannot find the send level controls.

Be sure to install an Aux. Group to hold your reverb plug-in, not just a simple Aux. Send. The Group allows you to route its output to, and has the send level control for, your main Mix Bus.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.125

DJS

Postby DJS » Sun Jul 24, 2016 00:54

Many thanks once again Frank, finally got it to work. I am confused by the inclusion of all the legacy buss options still in the menus and which clearly do not work in the new mixer. AuxSend and SubGroup have inaudible returns in the main mix.

So the new operation is always choose a General Mixing Buss and then choose from the second list of options in the dialog box.
David Spearritt

fl

Postby fl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 21:40

DJS wrote:So the new operation is always choose a General Mixing Buss and then choose from the second list of options in the dialog box.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the second list" here, but a good way to check whether or not all of your mixer's buses (main, sub, aux....) are Legacy or of the "General Mixing Bus" type (hereafter, "GMB"), is to right click on them individually, and if the pop-up menu displays the words, "Convert <name of your bus here> to the General Mixing Bus model", you know that you've clicked on a Legacy Bus.

Conversion from Legacy to the GMB model is pretty simple and seems to be bullet-proof. Converting a mixer back to the Legacy model, as you would need to do if you were - for example, saving a Project to be compatible with an earlier version of Pyramix - is more involved in that you have to manually remove all Buses, and then install their Legacy counterparts (but first copying over all the plug-ins and their settings, and copying/pasting any automation), prior to the "Save as special..." operation. Note that the selecting a Legacy bus can only be done through the "Bus > Add > Legacy" sub-menu in the pop-up menu that appears when you right-click on any mixer fader.
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621

DJS

Postby DJS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47

fl wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the second list" here,

In mixer config page, Add Bus, Select General Mixing Bus, then a dialog pops up with a section entitled Bus Type, this is what I meant by the second list. Here one chooses Aux Group.
David Spearritt

fl

Postby fl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 20:46

To get back to this thread's Subject, if you miss having M/S balancing and gain control in the new Mixer architecture, here is a handy, and free, plug-in that provides the controls that are missing - http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621