Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
StephenMarsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:47
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby StephenMarsh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 22:11

My system crashed while attempting to render in some RX'd audio back into the timeline - Now I cannot get Pyramix software to boot up1

I've tried everything I can think of - including uninstalling/reinstalling the software to no avail. It gets all the way through the boot-up sequence and then it seems to be trying to load the session that was open when it crashed (which I understood it was not supposed to do after a crash but anyway....) and when it finds it corrupt, it crashes the app. This is my present theory. I've tried re-naming that folder and that does nothing.

If I try to relaunch the software from another PMX project - it says 'there was a problem sending the command to the program'

Any alternate ideas? I'm really screwed if I cannot get this up and running rather quickly and with no domestic support - this forum is my only hope. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
phaseboy
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 23:41
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby phaseboy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 22:45

Is this a native or masscore system? First thought If native: I had a similar issues with 10.0.7 that was related to the hardware buffer size. Lowering the hardware buffer size allowed me to launch pyramix.

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

StephenMarsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:47
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby StephenMarsh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 22:58

phaseboy wrote:Is this a native or masscore system? First thought If native: I had a similar issues with 10.0.7 that was related to the hardware buffer size. Lowering the hardware buffer size allowed me to launch pyramix.

Mark


It is native, yes. I've tried lowering the buffer size in the ASIO control panel from 128 to 64, no dice.

User avatar
mpdonahue
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:20
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby mpdonahue » Fri Jul 22, 2016 00:48

StephenMarsh wrote:
phaseboy wrote:Is this a native or masscore system? First thought If native: I had a similar issues with 10.0.7 that was related to the hardware buffer size. Lowering the hardware buffer size allowed me to launch pyramix.

Mark


It is native, yes. I've tried lowering the buffer size in the ASIO control panel from 128 to 64, no dice.

If memory serves, you hold down a key while booting to make the system open with no project loaded. For the life of me I can not remember it......Try CTRL, ALT, Shift....
all the best,
-mark
*********************
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com
*********************

StephenMarsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:47
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby StephenMarsh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 03:26

mpdonahue wrote:
StephenMarsh wrote:
phaseboy wrote:Is this a native or masscore system? First thought If native: I had a similar issues with 10.0.7 that was related to the hardware buffer size. Lowering the hardware buffer size allowed me to launch pyramix.

Mark


It is native, yes. I've tried lowering the buffer size in the ASIO control panel from 128 to 64, no dice.

If memory serves, you hold down a key while booting to make the system open with no project loaded. For the life of me I can not remember it......Try CTRL, ALT, Shift....
all the best,
-mark


Tried a bunch of things as well as searching for such a key online/in the manual.

No luck there either. I've never seen any software refuse to open after an uninstall and fresh install - I'm baffled.

aomahana
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 21:21
Location: auckland. new zealand
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby aomahana » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:12

Have you tried another buffer setting, such as .... 512.
This is what works best on my system, with a Lynx 2.

User avatar
fl
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 19:55
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby fl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 14:52

Stephen,

You may have no local support, but as long as your ASM is paid up, you can access Merging's online support, to the extent that they will schedule a "Remote Desktop" session with you, allowing them to access your machine directly - support@merging.com

It may turn out that you need to do a complete removal of all Pyramix related components, and then do a complete install. Merging's Support can supply a copy of their "Pyramix Clean-up" utility, which will remove absolutely everything. (First, make sure to create backup copies of your Settings, Templates, Keyboard Shortcuts and Macros, Diskwrite Report forms, and anything else you can think of, to external storage like a USB flash drive.)
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

StephenMarsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:47
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby StephenMarsh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 16:26

fl wrote:Stephen,

You may have no local support, but as long as your ASM is paid up, you can access Merging's online support, to the extent that they will schedule a "Remote Desktop" session with you, allowing them to access your machine directly - support@merging.com

It may turn out that you need to do a complete removal of all Pyramix related components, and then do a complete install. Merging's Support can supply a copy of their "Pyramix Clean-up" utility, which will remove absolutely everything. (First, make sure to create backup copies of your Settings, Templates, Keyboard Shortcuts and Macros, Diskwrite Report forms, and anything else you can think of, to external storage like a USB flash drive.)


Thanks Frank (and everyone!) I put in a ticket yesterday afternoon and then stayed up til midnight to call Switzerland directly. They did in fact jump on my desktop and get it sorted fairly quickly. Turns out deleting the recent list did NOT do the trick, the true culprit was the settings files - something corrupted there and deleting those allowed the system to launch PMX fully. So, 1 day's work lost and I'll lose another hour or so re-configuring but all-told, not the end of the world and I'm very happy to have this running again. Frankly - the thought of going back to my crash-tastic old soundblade and re-assembling the 38 song project I need to deliver today was rather daunting. If I never turn that sB system on again it will be too soon.

Thanks for the helps guys, much appreciated.

User avatar
Graemme
Posts: 2214
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 22:18
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby Graemme » Wed Jul 27, 2016 05:55

Long ago, I learned to make backups of all of Pyramix' various settings files. The only one I've ever needed for a rescue was the actual '.pms' version. Store it somewhere outside of the main Pyramix folder (so it survives a re-install) and you're good to go if this problem shows up again (and it will...)
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

StephenMarsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:47
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby StephenMarsh » Fri Jul 29, 2016 22:07

Graemme wrote:Long ago, I learned to make backups of all of Pyramix' various settings files. The only one I've ever needed for a rescue was the actual '.pms' version. Store it somewhere outside of the main Pyramix folder (so it survives a re-install) and you're good to go if this problem shows up again (and it will...)


Great advice and thank you. I have done just that.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise - I've now gone through and made new templates for the keys and toolbars etc - totally custom for how I use it and it's greatly sped things up. You really have to use it for a year or so before you do that so you know what you will and won't need.
The ONLY thing I've forgotten how to set is a marker function - I can no longer select CD markers in the timeline - it always selects the cursor - so they cannot be moved.

I had this before and I fixed it with a setting, which I now cannot find.

Any ideas?

User avatar
mpdonahue
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:20
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Pyramix 10.0.7 Crash - now cannot boot up!

Postby mpdonahue » Sat Jul 30, 2016 02:42

StephenMarsh wrote:Great advice and thank you. I have done just that.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise - I've now gone through and made new templates for the keys and toolbars etc - totally custom for how I use it and it's greatly sped things up. You really have to use it for a year or so before you do that so you know what you will and won't need.
The ONLY thing I've forgotten how to set is a marker function - I can no longer select CD markers in the timeline - it always selects the cursor - so they cannot be moved.

I had this before and I fixed it with a setting, which I now cannot find.

Any ideas?
Click once on the marker and then click hold and drag. Line will turn blue when you are moving the marker.
-mark
*********************

Mark Donahue

Soundmirror, Inc.

Boston, MA

mark@soundmirror.com

www.soundmirror.com

*********************