Internet or No Internet...

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Silas

Internet or No Internet...

Postby Silas » Wed Jun 22, 2016 19:11

Hello All,

What is the latest practical advice on connecting to the internet on a Pyramix MassCore / Horus / Hapi system? Do you do it rarely only for updates? If so, what precautions do you take? Or never connect at all (my course to date)?

Thanks,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-8700k, 32 gig Ram, Pyramix V11.1
MassCore #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

mpdonahue

Re: Internet or No Internet...

Postby mpdonahue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 23:13

I know I may be in the minority, but all my systems are connected to the internet. I've never had an issue to date (Other than one of the young guys installing some adware by accident...) The browsers all default to incognito so they dump all the cookies and other files upon exit.
As a matter of fact, I'm doing a 36 track DSD256 mixdown, uploading files to wetransfer and writing this message all at the same time.
However, I do take the machines down to bare metal and re-install the OS from a saved image twice a year.
As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

draudio2u

Postby draudio2u » Fri Jun 24, 2016 03:17

I am curious about your workflow without internet:
How do you run network server back ups or recalls to/from your Pyramix machine(s)? Or work directly off server drives?
How do you get files to/from clients or masters delivered without internet connection?
Honestly, I know there is a risk to every computer running on the internet, but how does one work without being connected to it these days?

Personally I run internet continuously as my clients expect constant audio updates via my ftp or dropbox or email etc. I run Windows firewall and I have Norton installed on every computer. Everything runs through my studios internal server, which is running a RAID 10 backup system. Often I am working projects directly from the server drives - massive, multitrack HD mixes and such. No problems.

Granted I have a Hapi that I should not have purchased because it is not fitting with Mergings "PC Protocols". So it is new here collecting dust - Seems no one wants one anymore and I wasted a lot of money on it…. Anyway, that is my story with Ravena - not happening here and probably will never happen.

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 19:57

Hi Mark and Andreas,

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'm in the extreme camp. Do we know what Merging's official recommendation is? I know they specify not running Firewall / Anti-Virus while PMX is running. But beyond that?

Andreas - I still sneaker-net everything with a transfer drive from a MacBook which does internet / office duties (along with a ton of other things...without meaning to start the MAC-PC war again). It's archaic but it works and doesn't cost me too much time. I don't use networked storage - just 2x swappable internal work drives. Plenty fast for the projects I'm dealt - larger multi-track stuff included.

Best,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-8700k, 32 gig Ram, Pyramix V11.1
MassCore #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 21:19

Silas wrote:Hi Mark and Andreas,
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'm in the extreme camp. Do we know what Merging's official recommendation is? I know they specify not running Firewall / Anti-Virus while PMX is running. But beyond that?
Best,
Silas

You only need to disable the firewall if you are running Ravenna, and then only on the public networks. I run firewall on my work network and none on the public.
I also run Microsoft Security Essentials on all the systems here with no issues. Stay away from Kaspersky, Avg Avast, Norton..... They do weird things.
All the best,
-mark

Mark Donahue

Soundmirror, Inc.

Boston, MA

mark@soundmirror.com

www.soundmirror.com