Advanced Authoring Format

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:59

Has anyone used the AAF system that is available as an option on v4.3 in anger?

My area of interest is getting Avid edits and applying them to my multitrack recordings. Works OK using CMX EDL at the moment as long as the picture editor doesn't apply any disolves to the audio.

Handing my edits to the picture editor to cut the pictures to. At the moment they complain that the CMX EDL that Pyramix generates has to be tweeked before it will work. Probably not liking the crossfades that I have to apply to the audio.

Also I often give multitrack files to people who want to play them on their own system (often a Pro-Tools rig :twisted: ). At the moment I am converting them to BWAV. If I've done an edit, I mix it down to BWAV.

I would like to know if AAF is worth looking in to, before I go to my boss and ask for yet more money to buy the key.

Regards,

Julian

Omar Perez

are you using now AAF ?

Postby Omar Perez » Tue Mar 22, 2005 18:39

Hello,

I would like to have some imformation about AAF.

I used OMF from avid, is ist better to used aff ?

regards
Omar
Omar Perez

rjs104

Postby rjs104 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 20:44

Hi Julian and Omar,

I have attempted to use AAF on a few occasions - never successfully.

I have an Avid on site, and cannot even get an AAF out of that and into Pyramix - and that was from a very simple sequence with one clip in it!

Wo-betide anyone to get a usable one out of an editor, who do their own things at the best of times!

Think back to the early days of OMF - thats where its at.

The advantages of AAF should be good - the key thing I want is for Avid rubber banding to come through as envelope information.

But at the moment it don't work - and none of us have any tools to fiddle things to get them to work.

The great thing about OMFs now is that there are so many tools I can pretty much guarantee it will work every time.

In fact, there are so many tools like this - wouldn't it be great if Pyramix could export an OMF - I know I could get it into any usable format for any other OMF compatible platform then.....

Best wishes,

Richard.

NICK LOWE

Postby NICK LOWE » Fri Mar 25, 2005 00:42

Apparently Avid /Digidesign have made a complete pig's ear of AAF in the latest implementation of their code . My spies tell me that an AAF session created in Pro Tools 6.4 cannot be imported into Pro Tools 6.7 . Am I paranoid or are they really trying to knock cross platform file-sharing totally on the head ?

maurice

Postby maurice » Tue Mar 29, 2005 17:37

Hello all,

Indeed, it is only from PT 6.7 that the AAF works properly. And Pyramix (as far as i could go) did import it happily.

Regards

Maurice

Ric

Postby Ric » Wed Mar 30, 2005 03:53

Hi All

Has anyone had experience of exporting AAF from Pyramix to other platforms?

I need to export a mulitude of tracks for a film mix

Ric

JVergence

EDL Export

Postby JVergence » Sat Apr 02, 2005 22:32

After trying all the various options for exporting edl's, I have ended up using CMX. I am also dictating picture material (via audio selections) to the video editor and CMX was the only thing that came close to working when exporting from PMX. As was also pointed out above, there is still a problem with CMX export, though; I remember specifically that there is an issue with the initial numbering sequence. But a video editor that has the patience to "work the numbers" can resolve these issues fairly quickly.

Jack Vad
SF Symphony[/code]

Richard Crampton

Postby Richard Crampton » Sat Apr 09, 2005 17:30

NICK LOWE wrote:Apparently Avid /Digidesign have made a complete pig's ear of AAF in the latest implementation of their code . My spies tell me that an AAF session created in Pro Tools 6.4 cannot be imported into Pro Tools 6.7 . Am I paranoid or are they really trying to knock cross platform file-sharing totally on the head ?

I think Digi are the paranoids! But as long as they cling to their antiquated way of creating new sound files for fades, etc ( okay, if they threw that out there would be a MAJOR gap with legacy versions! ); they can keep more progressive platforms locked out. Even if they were easily cross-platform compatable, they'd still have a major market share due to the wealth of plug-ins that run in PT.

If they hadn't been the first with the most plug-ins and a fast waveform draw, they surely wouldn't have deserved to thrive, even dominate!

Richard Crampton