new tracks are playing like mono

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
tas

new tracks are playing like mono

Postby tas » Mon May 23, 2016 20:06

in version 10 if you make a new stereo track from the tracks menu and do not select a type, then it plays back kinda mono. Anyone else noticed this? bug or feature?
PMX 8.0.12 Native, Windows 7 Ultimate, MacPro, Bootcamp 4.0, RME MadiFX

fl

Re: new tracks are playing like mono

Postby fl » Wed Jun 29, 2016 18:48

Feature, I guess (although that's a matter of opinion). Setting up a new Strip with the new Mixer elements means that you must also create a new Pan Bus for each audio Bus you have. These tend to default to a mono condition when first created, unless you specify both the "Panner Type" and "Dual Source Mode".

The implication here is that in this Brave New World of Immersive Audio, mere Stereo is no longer a de facto paradigm, but must be set up just as would be the case for any multi-channel output. Personally I miss the Pan/Width controls almost as much as I miss dedicated M/S strips, as well as Sub-Groups. I know workarounds for these are fairly trivial, but still, it's not as though Stereo is going away anytime soon, particularly for Music production. Grumble, grumble...
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

DJS

Postby DJS » Wed Jun 29, 2016 22:54

fl wrote:The implication here is that in this Brave New World of Immersive Audio, mere Stereo is no longer a de facto paradigm, but must be set up just as would be the case for any multi-channel output. Personally I miss the Pan/Width controls almost as much as I miss dedicated M/S strips, as well as Sub-Groups. I know workarounds for these are fairly trivial, but still, it's not as though Stereo is going away anytime soon, particularly for Music production. Grumble, grumble...

Yes, I am annoyed by this as well. They should set the defaults based on most likely used scenario, which would not be immersive audio. Now I have to setup templates for everything I do because dumb defaults are creeping in. Grumble grumble.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Jesse.Lewis

Postby Jesse.Lewis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 15:57

Stereo strip should always pass stereo as default, no? Adding my vote here.

Jesse

fl

Postby fl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 16:41

Also, the terminology seems to be the reverse of what I would expect.

On a Stereo Strip, Panning > Dual Pan Mode > "Single Pan" behaves as I would expect a Balance control would - a full left or right pan results in a stereo spread between the side and the middle. In the Dual Pan Mode > "Balance" mode, a full pan setting will move one side of a stereo pair all the way to the other, resulting in a hard panned, mono output, which is how I would expect something called "Single Pan" would behave.
Last edited by fl on Tue Jul 12, 2016 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon Jul 11, 2016 23:00

Yes, the new arrangement is definitely inferior to before. Merging what are you doing? If this is to continue, then can we please have some config to set the defaults when adding strips for desired PAN control. We are not all Hollywood movie producers. 8O
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Jesse.Lewis

Postby Jesse.Lewis » Tue Jul 12, 2016 00:04

Or at least save the Hollywood movie producer the effort of yelling at a poor sound mixer who has inadvertently mixed a stereo track to mono...

Cheers,
Jesse

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Tue Jul 12, 2016 00:11

Am I missing something here. I just added a stereo strip to a project using both the configure and right clicking on the fader and choosing add stereo strip. In both cases the audio is routed correctly to both the stereo and surround buses.
I am using the general mix buses, not legacy. Do you have a mix of legacy and general buses?
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com