Dither Amplitude during Silence

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

Dither Amplitude during Silence

Postby DJS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:37

If one places a period of silence between clips in a timeline and then exports a PMI image or CD CueSheet, using dither 16bits WLC/Noise Shaper 49th Order, I get -66dB of dither noise for the silent section. This seems excessive by about 20dB! What's going on here?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

mpdonahue

Re: Dither Amplitude during Silence

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Mar 31, 2016 16:10

What you are seeing are the effects of noise shaping. Total amount of dither energy is the same, but noise shaping pushes the same energy into smaller bands to which are less sensitive.
Once upon a time, when digital dinosaurs roamed the land, Sonic Solutions had a dither that allowed you to choose less than one LSB of energy and switched the dither off when there was digital black or nothing below the 16th bit......I think that was in 1990
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

DJS

Postby DJS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 08:14

Thanks Mark. I will have to dig out some quieter music and see what the dither level ends up being. Is the resulting dither level higher for silence than for quiet music? How can one realise the 90dB of dynamic range in a CD if the dither noise floor is already at -66dB? Rhetorical question, turn noise shaping off.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

fl

Postby fl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 18:37

DJS wrote:Rhetorical question, turn noise shaping off.

and set to "Rectangular" (1 bit) as opposed to "Triangular" (2 bit).
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15