generating CD markers

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Stephen Rinker

generating CD markers

Postby Stephen Rinker » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49

Hi

is it my imagination or thinking of another system but is there a way of getting Pyramix to autoplace a CD track start marker at the begining of every clip in a EDL? I have over 400 takes and need to send a listen CD to a producer to mark up scores for editing.

Any help apprieciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Pyramix 9

fl

Re: generating CD markers

Postby fl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 15:11

Yes, you use the "CD Mark Groups" command found in the Menu of the CD/SACD Tab.

However, because this was designed for CD, there is a limit of 99 markers which can be placed, as that is the maximum number of cuts that a CD can contain. Your option is to either create four or five CDs, each new one taking up where the last left off, or following the instructions found in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10468&p=35859#p35859
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Stephen Rinker

Postby Stephen Rinker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 13:35

Hi Frank

Apologies. Ive only just come back to the forum after being on location for ages.

Thanks. Thats very helpful.

Stephen

Stephen Rinker

Postby Stephen Rinker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 15:04

Actualy im now tearing my hair our with this. The CD solution works fine albeit still time comsuming. Whats required now are individual wavs of each take. all 480 of them. What I have been given is a session recorded in pyramix, 12 track pyramix format files, 96K 24 bit. I need to turn the last two that contain the session mix into individual wavs 44.1 format. I've looked at options within media management and some kind of automated macro process using the last two tracks in an EDL and drawn a blank. if the session files were individual WAVs I could do it with third party software. it looks like a long night ahead. Any ideas.

Thanks

Stephen

fl

Postby fl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 16:47

Just so I'm clear, you wish to make 480 stereo WAV files from just Tracks 11 and 12 of your project. As I mentioned before, you can use the Album Publishing feature to create them, but because you'd have to make five CDs to hold all 480, it's a cumbersome route.

A quicker method, since you already have a two track mixdown of each take available, is to:

1. Right click in the Track header (left side of the main Timeline window) for Track 1. In the pop-up which appears select "Select All Clips". All the clips for all the takes but only those from Track 1 will become selected. Type Shift+Command+Down Arrow or go to the Selection Menu > Nudge > Grow Selection Down, and repeat this until all the clips in Tracks 1 through 10 are selected but those in Tracks 11 and 12 are not. Hit the "Delete" key to remove them from the Timeline.

2. "Select All Clips" for Track 11 and "grow" the selection down to include all those from Track 12.

3. Go to the Project Menu > Render. In the Render window, near the bottom you'll see a bunch of options next to radio buttons, one of which is "Selection (Split by Groups)" - enable this one.

4. Determine your output folder, de-select "One file per track" and "Unique Filename Extension" (I'm assuming that the person who made these recordings applied a unique file name to each Take). Choose WAV to be your rendered format, since all the files generated by the Render process will still be at the 96 kHz. sample rate. Sample rate and Word length can be converted in the Media Manager after the fact, and you can always use a third party program to batch convert to the file format (like MP3 or AAC) you desire.

5. Click on the "Render" button. Wait patiently while it goes through all 480 clips. If you're zoomed all the way out, you'll be able to watch it selecting each Take one by one during the rendering process. Very entertaining.

If you wish to change the word length and sample rate within Pyramix, go to the Media Manager and select all the files in your newly created folder. Go to the Media Manager's Convert menu > "Sample Rate Conversion" function which will, in the pop-up that appears, allow you to add a file name suffix (how about "44k16b") to each converted file's name, and by clicking on the "Properties" button, change both the sample rate (to 44.1 kHz.) and wordlength (16 bit) and the method of dither (I'd go with the "Apodizing" option).

If you then want to create MP3s or AACs, I'd recommend that you use a third party program like the free version of dbPoweramp - https://dbpoweramp.com/, and then edit the meta-data with a program like MP3Tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/, both of which will allow you to do batch operations. Advanced Renamer - http://advancedrenamer.com/ - is another program which could prove useful in cleaning up the file names, especially the inclusion of the parenthetical track designations, "(12)", that the Render function appends to each one, as well as swapping the position of the three digit take number to the beginning of the file names.
Last edited by fl on Wed Feb 10, 2016 19:02, edited 4 times in total.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809

fl

Postby fl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 18:12

Please note that I had to edit my previous reply (above) after I found that the Render (Separated by Groups) function requires that you delete all the clips from all the tracks you do NOT want included in the output.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6

DJS

Postby DJS » Tue Feb 09, 2016 23:06

Stephen Rinker wrote:Actualy im now tearing my hair our with this. The CD solution works fine albeit still time comsuming. Whats required now are individual wavs of each take. all 480 of them.

Instructions here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10468#p35508
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Stephen Rinker

Postby Stephen Rinker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:39

I am very grateful to you both and Frank thanks for such a detailed explanation.

I am pleased to say I had worked most of this out for myself exept the"Selection split by groups" option, the key to turning individual clips into individual files. I use Izotope here which can do a bulk render down to 44.1 from the HiDef files.

Once again thanks. This Forum is really so usefull!

ATB

Stephen

fl

Postby fl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:56

Stephen Rinker wrote:I use Izotope here which can do a bulk render down to 44.1 from the HiDef files.

That should work well, but if you don't wish to leave Pyramix, the Media Manager's SRC and Word Length reduction is quick and sounds very good.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Feb 17, 2016 06:38

To my ears, Hepta sounds better than the iZoTope SRC and it's just icing on the cake that I can stay inside Pyramix while using it.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"