Ravenna Masscore versus Native (ASIO) stability

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
archive

Ravenna Masscore versus Native (ASIO) stability

Postby archive » Thu Jan 14, 2016 18:04

I'm currentIy running PMX Native / Hapi with the Ravenna ASIO driver here in the mastering room. Is there anything to be gained as far as overall system / Ravenna stability goes by upgrading to Masscore?

Generally I'm loving the PMX / Hapi combo, but I do get some occasional weirdness (like Hapi spontaneously losing connection), and it feels like maybe the Ravenna ASIO driver has some maturing to do - especially if compared to something like RME.

Is Masscore better is this regard? Any other reason to go Masscore?
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com
Pyramix Native 9.1.10 / HAPI 3.0.5_28606 / Ravenna ASIO 10.0.6

Silas

Re: Ravenna Masscore versus Native (ASIO) stability

Postby Silas » Thu Jan 14, 2016 23:05

Hi Archive,

IMO - the advantages to MassCore are:
*increased DSP and the ability allocate cores dynamically (between VST and VS3 *IF* you buy the SMP license)
*lower possibly latency - with care you might be able to make a headphone feed that won't drive an artist nuts
*increased channel count

Stability - in short, neither is more stable than the other in my experience. Perhaps just a different balance of things to worry about.

I appreciate the fact that with MassCore the banks of IO are labelled as opposed to 'ASIO 1-8, ASIO 9-16' etc. However, I feel this should be the case with Native also. Routing is no more refined - still banks of 8 unless you use the 'Advanced Routing' pages.

MassCore, while more powerful, is MUCH fussier about what computer components are used. Your only choices are build your own according to Merging's specs or buy a turnkey system from a PMX dealer.

There are also considerably more tweaks that need to happen - registry edits, network configurations, OS settings - with MassCore. Just check out the installation guide for more info.

I hope this helps,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore 48 #1 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, i7-4590, 16 gig Ram, Pyramix V10.1
MassCore 48 #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

archive

Postby archive » Fri Jan 15, 2016 21:26

Hi Silas, I appreciate your response.

Silas wrote:Stability - in short, neither is more stable than the other in my experience. Perhaps just a different balance of things to worry about.

Yes, I think that is exactly what I was wondering - if it was more a matter of trading for a different set of concerns. Thanks!

Best,

- J.
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46

If you are having dropped connections then something is not set up correctly. Also, do you have the latest firmware and driver?

archive

Postby archive » Mon Jan 18, 2016 16:41

Hi Klaukholm, I've just updated to PMX 9.1.10, and I have the latest ASIO driver and firmware (added these specs to my signature too).

I'm going to take another look at the recommended Win7 tweaks and see if there is anything I've missed. I'll start a new thread if any repeatable issues crop up. Thanks!

- J.
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com

Silas

Postby Silas » Mon Jan 18, 2016 17:57

Are you using the Ethernet ports for any other duties - controllers or internet connection? Are there multiple NICs on the computer? I ask because with Auto-IP there can be conflicts. I recently switched to having HAPI on fixed IP (on a different range than my controller) and it resolved my connection issues. Even though they were on separate NICs, having the HAPI and other devices in the same IP range was causing issues. David Jacques from Merging was exceptionally helpful sorting this out.

Hope this helps,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore 48 #1 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, i7-4590, 16 gig Ram, Pyramix V10.1
MassCore 48 #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

archive

Postby archive » Tue Jan 19, 2016 20:24

Silas wrote:Are you using the Ethernet ports for any other duties - controllers or internet connection? Are there multiple NICs on the computer? I ask because with Auto-IP there can be conflicts. I recently switched to having HAPI on fixed IP (on a different range than my controller) and it resolved my connection issues. Even though they were on separate NICs, having the HAPI and other devices in the same IP range was causing issues. David Jacques from Merging was exceptionally helpful sorting this out.

I have the onboard ethernet port connected directly to the HAPI, there's nothing else on this network.

I use a USB wifi device to connect to the studio network for moving files around and general internet usage.

As far as I can tell they are on different IP ranges. But something is not right. At the moment I have no / or intermittent connection to the studio network via the wifi USB stick, and it seems that not all of the HAPI AES inputs are working.
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com

archive

Postby archive » Tue Jan 19, 2016 23:51

Started a new thread here to address the HAPI AES issues:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11529
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 18:06

Disable the Wifi. Also run DPC latency checker.

DJS

Postby DJS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 22:53

klaukholm wrote:Disable the Wifi. Also run DPC latency checker.

and the CDROM drive, Bluetooth, IEEE 1394 Firewire, Webcam, Card Reader and any other hardware not used. Then check DPC latency.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

archive

Postby archive » Fri Jan 22, 2016 22:37

DJS wrote:
klaukholm wrote:Disable the Wifi. Also run DPC latency checker.

and the CDROM drive, Bluetooth, IEEE 1394 Firewire, Webcam, Card Reader and any other hardware not used. Then check DPC latency.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to fix the Hapi AES issue by rolling back to firmware 3.0.5_28606, and with the v10 ASIO driver I have not experienced any loss of connection for the last few days. So fingers crossed things are looking pretty stable at the moment.

Best,

- J.
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com