Massive failure:RME Madiface PCIe with SSL XLogic Alpha Madi

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
draudio2u

Massive failure:RME Madiface PCIe with SSL XLogic Alpha Madi

Postby draudio2u » Thu Jan 14, 2016 07:01

Hello,
On remote with Pyramix Native 9.1.5 and expecting my PCIe MadiFace to work as usual connecting to SSL XLogic Alpha Madi. For some reason my settings on the RME changed and I could not get the RME mixer to work properly and drive the inputs correctly on the Pyramix.
ISSUES:
- Set up project at 96khz and notice the channels are not all coming in, and there is a doubling occurring on the RME mixer page - Channels 1-4 are doubling on 17-20. Channels 5-7 are not coming in for some reason even though the meters on the SSL input are showing they are working.

- Reduce project to 48khz and now all channels show, but double staring at channel 33 on the RME mixer.

- Load the latest RME MadiFace driver and same result - 96khz doesn't allow for proper channel recognition, but 48 does even though they are doubled staring at channel 33 on the RME mixer.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also what is the cause? I was always able to record 24 channels of 96khz using the SSL-->RME MadiFace PCIe-->Pyramix Native in my Dell Laptop but it seems there was a Windows 7 Pro update that caused this issue? possible? Solutions?

I need to record at higher resolution = 96.
Thanks

mpdonahue

Re: Massive failure:RME Madiface PCIe with SSL XLogic Alpha

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 19:17

Sounds to me like you have an issue with 96k MADI framing. Are you routing 1:1 in the RME? The track duplication thing is an issue with 96k vs S/MUX framing. Also, there is a bug in the Alphalink AX and SX that formats the MADI string as S/MUX regardless of the flag. Try 88.2k and it will probably work as advertised. Otherwise, change the 96k framing in the Alphalink to S/MUX and the RME will probably just bang on correctly.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

draudio2u

Postby draudio2u » Thu Jan 14, 2016 19:33

Hello Mark,
You are correct, I was able to get it to work in 88.2. You can see the full thread of development here:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi ... 42#p109942

Where exactly are you talking about setting the 1:1 correlation - in the SSL diagnostic mode or in RME Matrix window?

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 00:44

draudio2u wrote:Where exactly are you talking about setting the 1:1 correlation - in the SSL diagnostic mode or in RME Matrix window?

On the RME side of things, check the settings. On my RME-based system, the mixer and settings are two distinct applications.
2x MassCore v11.0.6 Win7/64 i5-3450
3x Horus for 72 In / 24 out in PCM
Native V11 Win10/64 Xeon 3520 2.67GHz RME HDSP MADI
Native V11 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi, iFi iDSD nano
Native V11 Win10 Bootcamp Mac Mini i5-4278U

draudio2u

Postby draudio2u » Fri Jun 24, 2016 03:09

So I have gotten this to work in a peculiar way:
- Put SSL into "Legacy" mode and FS sample rate to follow desired format.
- Place RME MadiFace into Legacy mode and 56/28 channel count (frame rate must be on 48).
- Clock master can now be either the RME or SSL internal (I keep mine on SSL internal).

By having switched into Legacy mode, I have ben able to get the two units to lock in either direction and send correct channel information to the corresponding track. SSL technical service does' understand and has never seen this issue before and is still investigating, but for a work around, this does the trick. Eventhually I would like to get the system back at "full Speed" mode and out of "Legacy" mode (as I have been working in 88.2 the whole time). Only problem I am having right now is getting the RME to give Pyramix full access to all 24 channels of the SSL. I only get 12 in Pyramix, though I can clearly see all 24 working on RME's TotalMix software. I obviously have a routing issue now between the RME and Pyramix I have to figure out.

Hope this helps anyone out there with an SSL Alpha-Link Madi system.

Best.

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 21:49

draudio2u wrote:So I have gotten this to work in a peculiar way:
- Put SSL into "Legacy" mode and FS sample rate to follow desired format.
- Place RME MadiFace into Legacy mode and 56/28 channel count (frame rate must be on 48).
- Clock master can now be either the RME or SSL internal (I keep mine on SSL internal).
The reason you are having to switch to 56 channel from 64 is that you have just the AD converters routed to the MADI output. If you put into the mode where the first 24 of the MADI are fed from the AD converter and the last 8 channels are fed from the AES Inputs, the SSL automatically changes to 64 channel mode.

By having switched into Legacy mode, I have ben able to get the two units to lock in either direction and send correct channel information to the corresponding track.
Legacy mode means the same as 48k frame or S/MUX. All it means is that the 96k stream is split into a pair of 48k channels.

SSL technical service does' understand and has never seen this issue before and is still investigating, but for a work around, this does the trick.
SSL has known about this issue for over 6 years. They have chosen to do nothing after repeated complaints. Tom Schuh and Fadi Hayek have known about this since 2010. Their solution at that time was to change the firmware on the MADIExtreme card to ignore the 96k flag as a work around the to the issue.

Eventually I would like to get the system back at "full Speed" mode and out of "Legacy" mode (as I have been working in 88.2 the whole time).

This is never going to happen. The Alphalink is a legacy product that they inherited from Soundscape a decade ago and is long since end of life. I'm not sure the folks in Belgium that designed the thing are even around anymore.
Only problem I am having right now is getting the RME to give Pyramix full access to all 24 channels of the SSL. I only get 12 in Pyramix, though I can clearly see all 24 working on RME's TotalMix software. I obviously have a routing issue now between the RME and Pyramix I have to figure out.
Again, this is a framing issue. Make sure if you are running the system in 48k frame, that all the devices are set to 48k frame end to end.

All the best,
-mark

Mark Donahue

Soundmirror, Inc.

Boston, MA

mark@soundmirror.com

www.soundmirror.com

draudio2u

Postby draudio2u » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:21

Thank you Mark for the detailed response. My remote computer is having a new HD installed but as soon as it returns, I will try your suggestions. It is just odd that everything I want from the SSL in 96K mode, works perfectly in 88.2k. SSL doesn't understand this either as they stated to me that "double speed is double speed to the design so there is no reason for 96 to behave differently than 88". I have an appointment with them in NYC to update the firmware to 2.10 and will let you know if this makes a difference.

I hear you about it being a Legacy product, but honestly, it has been bomb proof for years - always "plug and play" and sounds extremely good. I did purchase a new Hapi last November with the thought of replacing the SSL, but have not been able to get it to work with my systems. It has been a total nightmare and I wish I could just get rid of it as it is a very expensive paper weight. If you know anyone looking for a brand new Hapi.....
Best,
Andreas