How to produce 32 bit files from Album Publishing

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

How to produce 32 bit files from Album Publishing

Postby DJS » Sun May 24, 2015 04:50

Still finding album publishing frustrating. I have an SD project of art song with 38 songs and want to render out each song to 32 bit (96k) files, because this is not the final dither, since I want to go out to RX for the odd noise reduction and then bring back to a final timeline for fades and gaps, dither after that.

I can't seem to generate 32 bit WAVE files. Only 24 bit.

Is there a way around this in Album Publishing? I have successfully rendered them all out individually with MixDown as it allows 32 bit, but its a boring job doing them all one by one and naming each one and resetting stuff in the mixdown box each time because PMX doesn't persist last settings .... :roll:
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

fl

Re: How to produce 32 bit files from Album Publishing

Postby fl » Sun May 24, 2015 19:04

I think you're out of luck, in that Publishing goes through the intermediary stage of being written to a 24 bit MTFF file at the sample rate of the Project, and from that, the various output formats, their wordlengths and sample rates are generated. Although you can record to a 32 bit f.p. MTFF, there seems to be nowhere in the "Generate CD..." window where you can set the wordlength of the Publishing (MTFF) file.

You might be able to cobble up a Macro to batch Render 32 bit WAVs directly from your project's Timeline, but the output file naming would be the issue there - and by the time you solve that, you could probably have done each one individually anyway.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sun May 24, 2015 22:54

I would suggest using RX connect within the project. This should solve your problem.

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon May 25, 2015 02:17

klaukholm wrote:I would suggest using RX connect within the project. This should solve your problem.

But that would still mean stepping through each file and rendering separately?
David Spearritt

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon May 25, 2015 02:23

fl wrote:I think you're out of luck, ...

Thanks again Frank, I feared this.

I wonder when Merging are going to make this file rendering stuff more productive and useful. Its possibly the only real weak part of PMX as far as I can tell. I have the CD project defined, all the clips are named ready for automatic naming on the way out, and yet I can't run a batch to do it to maintain 32bit full resolution. The other huge limitation is the 99 track limit. It would also be good to have the destination folder default to the project folder. I am forever forgetting to change it and the files end up in some other projects folder. Its strange how they remember the stuff that should change and forget the stuff that shouldn't change in those dialog boxes between instances.

Anyone PMX 10 users out there who can say if this is improved in v10?
David Spearritt

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Mon May 25, 2015 15:07

DJS wrote:
klaukholm wrote:I would suggest using RX connect within the project. This should solve your problem.

But that would still mean stepping through each file and rendering separately?

Not sure what you mean.
Is this multitrack or stereo within in the project?

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon May 25, 2015 23:01

It is a stereo project. What I mean is that with RX Connect one still has to render in place, its not a true real time plugin operation? This means visiting each clip, rendering each and then replacing the edited clips with the rendered version?

Have I got it wrong?
David Spearritt

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Mon May 25, 2015 23:54

DJS wrote:
fl wrote:I think you're out of luck, ...

Thanks again Frank, I feared this.

I wonder when Merging are going to make this file rendering stuff more productive and useful. Its possibly the only real weak part of PMX as far as I can tell. I have the CD project defined, all the clips are named ready for automatic naming on the way out, and yet I can't run a batch to do it to maintain 32bit full resolution. The other huge limitation is the 99 track limit. It would also be good to have the destination folder default to the project folder. I am forever forgetting to change it and the files end up in some other projects folder. Its strange how they remember the stuff that should change and forget the stuff that shouldn't change in those dialog boxes between instances.

Anyone PMX 10 users out there who can say if this is improved in v10?

That´s the problem. Album Publishing was made for CD, not for digital releases. In fact, Pyramix has all the capabilities built-in for multifile batch rendering in various output formats, they just need to change the user interface in this area and rearrange the way it can be done. Been asking for that since V7 was released...
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Tue May 26, 2015 06:40

DJS wrote:It is a stereo project. What I mean is that with RX Connect one still has to render in place, its not a true real time plugin operation? This means visiting each clip, rendering each and then replacing the edited clips with the rendered version?

Have I got it wrong?

It renders the bits you denoise, yes.

I thought your problem was trying to stay in 32 bit which working within the project fixes.
It is also fewer steps than rendering in pyramix, going into RX externally and back into Pyramix.

Jesse.Lewis

Postby Jesse.Lewis » Sat May 30, 2015 02:00

Dear David,

A thought:
1) Make sure the names of the clips reflect the files you want to make
2) Select all of your stereo clips, and render "Selection (split by group)" to a folder
3) RX those files to a new 'denoised' folder
4) Pyramix "Relink" to your 'denoised' folder. It does work, I promise.
5) Voila

Does it solve for you?

Jesse

DJS

Postby DJS » Wed Jun 03, 2015 13:24

Many thanks Jesse, will try this in the next day or so and advise. Sounds like it might be a good solution.
David Spearritt

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon Jun 08, 2015 08:45

OK, so this didn't work. I am trying to render the Destination track from an SD project and each song contains many edits. How does one name a group of edited clips to be a single name? Wavelab again has this right, one names the start marker with the marker placed at the start of each song. I can do this in PMX with the CD track names, but cannot "render" from the CD dialog box to 32 bit.

To me Render, MixDown, and Album Publishing is all part of the same thing. One needs to mix tracks/edits/groups through plugins and master buss to files, of any number of formats/SRC/dithering. It seems overly convoluted at present and ripe for reform. I waste serious time at the end of projects mucking around with output.
David Spearritt

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Mon Jun 08, 2015 15:08

1) select all the clips that make up a track and choose Group. Do this for each track.
2)Select a group, go to the selection tab and change the name. This will rename all the clips in the group.
3) Select the whole timeline that includes all the previously grouped tracks. Chose Render Split by Groups. This will generate a single file for each group.

Another thing to remember is that the render split by groups function takes the name of the first clip in the group. Just rename the first clip. I do this all the time and it really does work. Before multichannel album publishing, this was the only way to generate deliverables for surround masters.
all the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Mon Jun 22, 2015 23:58

I've been doing this for years. We just print a mix of each track once we're satisfied with the edit, then I work on them in RX. That way I have an original and a declicked version of each selection, just in case I need to back up a step. In some situations I save the file from RX as a 32 bit file plus a 16 bit dithered and if required sample frequency converted file.

The only gotcha that keeps annoying me is that RX transparently carries across the original BWF metadata to the declicked file. In cases where I've sequenced all the RX processed files in Pyramix, (including opening the declicked folder, and dragging in the declicked files to the project) the system will grab the original file instead of the declicked file. There is a workaround in Pyramix which if I recall requires going to each file and selecting ignore BWF chunk. Another way is to save the files from RX as AIFF, then you'll never encounter that oddity.

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon Jul 13, 2015 14:00

David Jacques from Merging came to the rescue. Here's how to get 32 bit files rendered from Album Publishing. Brilliant. It works. Many thanks David.

You may manually edit the Album Publishing setting file:
Make sure that in the Album Publishing output format list, you have 1 WAV entry.
Close Pyramix
Browse to C:/Users/YourUSerName/AppData/Roaming/Merging Technologies/Pyramix/Settings and edit “Last_AlbumPublishingFormat_Settings.pms with Notepad (or Notepad ++)
For your Wav file entry, edit “Output Wordlength val=”32”
Save this setting file.

In Pyramix (or in DiscWrite), you may now create WAV file32 bits.

gbEDIT: Making this solution into a sticky in the 'Troubleshooting and Tips' section ...Thanks David and David!
David Spearritt