Qs. about downsampling DSD files n with DSD and DXD

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Audioguyrecords

Qs. about downsampling DSD files n with DSD and DXD

Postby Audioguyrecords » Mon Mar 09, 2015 09:35

Hi, there.

We, Audioguy are a korean recording company, which records classic, jazz and korea traditional music. We use Pryramix and Horus for recording in DSD form and do mastering and we've some questions about our editing process.

at first, we wanna know how do we downsampling DSD files with Pyramix. Nowadays we recorded choir music in DSD128 format, but we need to change format DSD128 to DSD64. Could you guys let us know how we do it in Pyramix? is it possible in Pyramix and how about upsampling?

sencond, we also wanna know that if we edit DSD files in DXD session, do the original files have loss of sound quality? or is just format of the session changed?

at last, returning from DXD to DSD after editing, are those audio sources converted?

Thanks in advance
Sincerely

Audioguy & Partners

Graemme

Re: Qs. about downsampling DSD files n with DSD and DXD

Postby Graemme » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10

The "MT DSD Converter" application, which is installed with Pyramix, will convert DSD128 to DSD64 (and handle other conversions, too.)

The original files do not change at all: The conversion from DSD to DXD (for use with the mixer and real-time editing) and then back to DSD is done in real-time without changing the source files. Any render or mixdown operation will change the audio, obviously, but you can always go back to the source files as necessary and re-mix, re-edit, etc.

A 'DSD Render' is an offline, non-realtime process that takes the DSD audio in your EDL and only converts fades, clips with level changes and polarity reversal to DXD to calculate the changes before remodulating those sections back to DSD. Any DSD audio that is not: part of a fade; a clip with a level change specified or a polarity reversal specified will merely be copied from the source file to the new output file, intact. The mixer is not involved in the DSD Render process. Note that DSD Render uses a correspondingly higher sample rate for each increase in the DSD rate:

DSD64 = Render at 352K8 (8fs)
DSD128 = Render at 705K6 (16fs)
DSD256 = Render at 1411K2 (32fs)

An SA-CD Render is very similar; it operates the same way as the DSD Render but is specific to creating 'SACD Edited Master' files from a DSD64 project.

gb
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

tailspn

Postby tailspn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 15:11

"Note that DSD Render uses a correspondingly higher sample rate for each increase in the DSD rate:

DSD256 = Render at 1411K2 (32fs)"

Has that feature actually been implemented? I've heard of it being planned for years, but haven't read of it's implementation.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:23

No, I just made that up because I was bored ;->

It has been in the app since the DSD-Render function was introduced.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

tailspn

Postby tailspn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 15:02

I'm still confused. I agree with your statement:

"A 'DSD Render' is an offline, non-realtime process that takes the DSD audio in your EDL and only converts fades, clips with level changes and polarity reversal to DXD to calculate the changes before remodulating those sections back to DSD. Any DSD audio that is not: part of a fade; a clip with a level change specified or a polarity reversal specified will merely be copied from the source file to the new output file, intact. The mixer is not involved in the DSD Render process."

But what do you mean by:

DSD256 = Render at 1411K2 (32fs)

What's rendered at those PCM sampling rates? I presume you mean just the Mix functions applied to the DSD content (level changes, fades, polarity).

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 26, 2015 22:35

OK,

Let's not call them 'Mix functions', though...

DSD-Render handles only fades, level changes and polarity inversion, as you mentioned. (Same goes for SACD-Render, with the possible exception of polarity reversal, at this time).

As is the case with the SACD-Render functions, DSD-Render simply copies the source DSD file to the target file until a new clip is encountered and then the fade/xfade/clip level/clip polarity is processed **only for the duration of the change** and then simple file copying resumes until the next clip requiring processing, etc.

This processing is done at the different rates that I previously mentioned. The rate of processing simply scales with the change in DSD-rate.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096