Sample Rate Conversion in the Timeline

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
muadgil

Sample Rate Conversion in the Timeline

Postby muadgil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 13:00

Hello you all
Here is my problem :
In audio post prod, I often get projects which contains 44.1 AND 48kHz files.
I'd like to know if there's a way to simply convert the 44.1 clips in 48kHz, directly in the timeline.

I can't just convert them in the media browser then drag them in the timeline, as the 44.1 clips (generally music) are often edited, and it's a time consuming pain to re-edit everything.
Right know, the "simplest" way I found was:
- converting them in the media browser
- then put the new files in a different folder
- then Reconform the selected clips, pointing them to the converted files folder (which can be tricky due to L and R files etc... loads of renaming to be accurate)

Can I just select the concerned clips, then right click an hypothetical "SR Convert", that would be so efficient...

thanks a lot for your lights

Gilles

PS: I use Pyramix 7

fl

Re: Sample Rate Conversion in the Timeline

Postby fl » Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:37

Does any 44.1 kHz. material ever need to be placed on the same tracks as 48 kHz. clips? Will there ever be crossfades between mismatched clips? If not, and if all the 44.1 clips are placed on their own tracks, you could simply enable realtime sample rate conversion (Settings > Application > Playback/Record > Highest Quality HEPTA). The source files won't be re-written, but will be converted on the fly. This works fine for mixing, although as you might imagine, it places higher demands on your processor.

If you are crossfading between clips with differing SRs then you should either convert, export and re-conform as you've described already, or you could select each 44.1 clip and Render to 48. However, doing this only converts the material that actually appears on the timeline, so there's no available overlap for tweaking the edits later. If you think you'll need some, then select each 44.1 clip, change its enclosing crossfades to 0 ms., move the beginning one earlier and the ending one later (to create some overlap for later), Render to 48, and then restore the crossfades to their original position and shape. I'm thinking your method is less tedious.

I'm sure that if you'll be bringing in additional 44.1 material for this project, you'll want to convert it first. Renaming chores can be automated somewhat through the use of a program like Advanced Renamer - http://www.advancedrenamer.com/ - to change each ".L" to "_##1##_", each ".R" to "_##2##_" and so on, to correspond to the naming convention Pyramix uses for grouping multi-mono files.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Mar 04, 2015 07:10

muadgil wrote:Hello you all
Here is my problem :
In audio post prod, I often get projects which contains 44.1 AND 48kHz files.
I'd like to know if there's a way to simply convert the 44.1 clips in 48kHz, directly in the timeline.

It's even easier than that. The realtime sample rate conversion is the first thing you should try:

In the Pyramix Settings window, under 'All Settings\Application\Playback-Record' enable the realtime SRC and start with the 'Very High Quality' setting. You should re-start Pyramix after enabling this SRC function. Be aware that crossfading or overlapping material of two different sample rates will make Pyramix unhappy. That's about the only place you should need to worry about rendering...Worry about all the other renaming, etc., etc. *after* you've tried the simple steps above...

gb
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:33

Just hit Render :)

I always render direct to the timeline. I recieve AAF's with all sorts of source material. You can't have two 44.1 kHz streams on the timeline because this emits a huge portion of white noise! (<- "known issue" ) Not funny at all with customers, I tell you.

In order to avoid any kind of SR-clah I convert all 44.1 kHz material to the SR of my project, which is normally 48 kHz.

note: when doing SR directly through render, dont forget to remove the sample at the very end of your converted file. Also a "known issue"

P.S. audiopost here too :D
...Gracefully Ignored...

muadgil

Postby muadgil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35

Thanks a lot to you for your very useful responses!

It's exactly the kind of solution I was looking for. A fast efficient way to start mixing when I get such a project, with a director "patiently" waiting behind my back :-)
Just tried the Real time SRC this morning and it works like a charm!

I wasn't aware of this function, I'll really have to read the whole manual one of these days...

Gilles