Delay with VST plugs

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Perfect Record

Delay with VST plugs

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Feb 05, 2015 01:17

I'm using a VST reverb plug in an Aux Return input in Pyramix V8.

The plugin has a lot of delay, even with all parameters set to zero, including of course pre-delay. I'm guessing 500ms to 750ms. It does not matter whether I place the plugin into the aux master strip or the input strip, I get the same delay. My preference would be the return strip.

With Automatic Delay Compensation engaged, it tells me to increase the Max Mixer Delay compensation, but doing that doesn't seem to fix the problem. Entering a delay figure into the delay field on the input strip (set to Aux Rtn mode) does not seem to change anything.

I don't understand the functions of Automatic Delay Compensation fully.

The designer of the plugin hinted that the app does not report delay time back to an app.

Any ideas how I can get this to work- to eliminate the excessive delay? On some music, and some settings, the delay is not problematic. But it's obviously not right either.

fl

Re: Delay with VST plugs

Postby fl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:13

Just so I'm clear, are you saying that when you place your VST reverb plug-in on a Sub-Group Bus (the recommended method of applying a plug-in such as this), and then turn on and increase your Automatic Delay Compensation buffer size, you are still hearing a big pause before the onset of the reverb? What if you save, close and re-load the project?

Which Reverb plugin?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:51

Perfect Record wrote:I don't understand the functions of Automatic Delay Compensation fully.
The designer of the plugin hinted that the app does not report delay time back to an app.
Any ideas how I can get this to work- to eliminate the excessive delay? On some music, and some settings, the delay is not problematic. But it's obviously not right either.

Preston,
The answer to your question is in your question.
Automatic delay compensation works by delaying the material by the number of samples that the plugin reports to the application to compensate for the transit delay. Your plugin does not report therefor there is no delay. I would suggest that you talk to the designer and have them do the right thing and make the plugin VST compliant and report the delay. The only easy and reliable way to get around this is to print the output of the reverb and manually align to the program material.
Also, Frank's advice about using a subgroup will also make your life much easier. What you are doing is called a nested loop. Printing the output of the mixer back into the mixer. Pyramix will compensate for nested loops, but it is much easier to wrap your head around a subgroup back into the mix.
All the best,
Mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:32

mpdonahue wrote:...Also, Frank's advice about using a subgroup will also make your life much easier. What you are doing is called a nested loop. Printing the output of the mixer back into the mixer. Pyramix will compensate for nested loops, but it is much easier to wrap your head around a subgroup back into the mix.
All the best,
Mark

My down and dirty approach is to put all the dry channels onto a sub group, and delay them, setting by ear. It was pretty easy to dial it it. Just makes for a slightly messier desk, but it works just fine.

Vangelis

Postby Vangelis » Thu Feb 19, 2015 14:04

Hi,
I had the same problem and solved it by hex editing the dll of the plugin and adding in the preferred amount of latency in samples.

here are the instructions sent to me by a friend.:

"Open your vst's dll in a Hex-Editor.
Take a Hex-Editor (http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor ... 91068.html) and search for the string (not in ASCII code) -> C7 46 68 66 45 6F 4E <- then change the 68 to 50 and the following four bytes to 00 00 00 00.
it says c7 46 68 66...

C7 46 50 00 00 00 00 represents Latency 0 Samples. To calculate your correct settings just take the windows calculator, type in your latency in samples in dec-mode and switch to hex-mode. Then you have to add the 0 (zeros) so that you get four bytes.
example: 1024 samples are hex 00000400 (windows calculator shows only hex 400), 16 samples are hex 00000010. Now you have to order the bytes in Little Endian, so reverse them:
C7 46 50 10 00 00 00 represents Latency 16 Samples
C7 46 50 00 04 00 00 represents Latency 1024 Samples"

If you can't manage you can send me the dll and I'll do it for you.

It is not definite that it will work will all dlls though...

Vangelis
Planet REC music productions.
Vangelis Spanakakis, producer - artist.