Reconform

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Stephen Rinker

Reconform

Postby Stephen Rinker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 17:02

Hi

Seem to be asking for a lot of advice lately.

I've never had real cause to do it. The user manual says its a black art! Not even sure if its possible?

I usually edit across the mutltrack files just in case but having been categorically told there's no possibility of needing a remix I have proceeded to edit just the live mix component/files of a multi-track recording. Yes the question is now being asked can we remix a couple of numbers after all. There has been a lot of Editing !!! Can I transfer and extend my edits to the missing multi-track files sitting outside the EDL but mounted in media management. I doubt it. Here's the scenario. These are 40 odd mono BWFs per take, the files all stamped with the source instrument name. Each take is in its own folder. Each take/file is stamped with TOD time code.

The one piece of good news is there's no hurry for this to happen so I have time to experiment.

THANKS!

Stephen

DJS

Re: Reconform

Postby DJS » Thu Jan 22, 2015 21:53

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11098

Been working through this with support at Merging. It seems the Tracks, Extend command may work. I cannot get it to make sense. This is amazing to me, that extending existing ISO tracks back into clips is so difficult if not impossible.

I have given up.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Mike Hatch

Postby Mike Hatch » Mon Jan 26, 2015 01:07

Hi Stephen

I do this all the time and I've never had a problem. Quickest way is to delete everything after track 1 (i.ie L channel only) then use the re-link to new media command - extend to the number of track required. It works best when the multitrack files are in a single folder with unique timecode. You should get a duplicate of the edl with the extended tracks beneath it - and then you can delete the original single track. Hey Presto! Takes about 10 seconds....!

Good luck

Stephen Rinker

Postby Stephen Rinker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 20:48

Hello Mike

Thanks a lot but I'm not having a lot of luck. Clearly once you get into the Relink to new media dialogue you presented with a LOT of options.I tried a lot but it only seemed to recreate just one further track,the extend edits to more tracks is checked and set to 32. I can confirm each take is in its own folder. Each take has a unique time code stamp. Can I give you a random example of the files names within a given folder.

09-Str 3-150115_1935
10-Str 4-150115_1935
11-Basses-150115_1935

and so on and son on.

Any suggestions. I seriously owe you a pint when next in London

Thanks

Stephen

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 18:31

I've been able to succeed by using either the Reconform > Relink to New Media, or the Tracks menu > Extend methods. In either method, after I had deleted every Track except the first, all Clips showed up on the newly created tracks with their edits and crossfades intact. Of course, my project used interleaved multi-track PMF files, which contain their track identification information internally.

When dealing with a collection of mono files in a format with no internal provision for track identification, like BWF files, the only place to look is in the file name itself, and in the case of Pyramix, any and all files that are to be considered as tracks within a multi-track Clip must have the same file name, with the only difference being their track number, expressed as a three digit number surrounded by _## and ##_. Thus, Stephen's files would need to be changed from:

09-Str 3-150115_1935
10-Str 4-150115_1935
11-Basses-150115_1935

to

150115_1935_##009##_
150115_1935_##010##_
150115_1935_##011##_

There is supposed to be a small program included in a standard Pyramix installation - the MultiFile Fixer - which can automate batch file renaming, but I can't seem to find it on my system. I would expect that Advanced Renamer could be set up to do the same task.

The wrinkle comes when you wish to rename all the files/clips in an existing editing project, and otherwise keep things intact. To do so, you would need to have the project open in Pyramix and then start renaming in the Media Manager Tab. I've found that renaming Clips here will cause the File names to change at the same time.

You'd only need to rename the files for those which appear on the first or top Track in the Destination Track Group. You can then delete every other Track, exit Pyramix, batch rename all the other media files using the same naming convention as described above, relaunch Pyramix and Refresh the Media Files folder(s) before continuing with the Tracks menu > Extend process. If the universe is a kind place, your edits should survive, but now you'll have all the originally recorded material placed on their own Tracks.

This should work, but you should probably try this out on copies of both the project file and media files first.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

DJS

Postby DJS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 22:05

Thanks Frank. The problem I had was that I deleted the first 12 tracks and had a big SD project with many edits where I needed to restore the first 12 tracks before the first track (13) in my timeline. The extend tracks dialogs are very confusing. David Jacques helped me, and the secret was to:

1. Copy out all the Destination edits to a new standard project
2. Delete all but the first track
3. Reconform and extend tracks
4. Delete the repeated first track
5. Copy these back into the Destination Group.

This is too complicated.

I have made a suggestion to PMX that if the empty lanes exist to accept the tracks, then control click drag of file from Media Manager and drop onto clip should automatically extend and fill missing tracks.

I hope they can do this easily. More intuitive than the roundabout method above.

I will never delete tracks from a project EVER again.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia