MD5 checksum file format

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Thomas Grubb

MD5 checksum file format

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's a standard format for MD5 checksum files for DDPs. Opening a DDP folder in the new Sonaris player (v3) I get the error that the checksum file is not found. It's looking for a file with a .md5 extension whereas Discwrite has created one with a .TXT extension.

If a rename it to .MD5 it's also not recognised. Investigating a little further, I found if I reformat the entries in the Pyramix-generated file to 'checksum - filename' rather than 'filename=checksum' and rename the file to .MD5 the Sonoris Player happily does a check of all the files in the directory and gives them the ok.

As the Sonoris player is so widely used, it's another potential annoyance if every client gets an error message when opening a DDP file - would much rather they see everything's ok!

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

Graemme

Re: MD5 checksum file format

Postby Graemme » Thu Jan 22, 2015 01:55

In practice, I see the '.md5' extension as universal. As you mention, it appears that Merging is formatting each line in the reverse of established convention. There's some useful info about this on Wikipedia. My own experience comes from sending files to Sony DADC plants around the world.

So, it sounds like Merging need to change how they name and format their new MD5 file checksum feature.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 04:44

Pieter at Sonaris has asked for a copy of the Diskwrite generated file and will look into adding support for it in a future version, but I guess there's something to be said for sticking to a standard! I also haven't had issues from the Sony plants, but suddenly having 2 DDPs fail the checksum test at a plant in Hong Kong seems to suggest it had something to do with their downloading of the file, especially as they have been opened previously in the Player.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Jan 23, 2015 08:07

Will it work without the MD5 file? I've never had any problems with the older checksums that DiscWrite generated. I know that we want MD5 (or better yet SHA-256) to be the standard but I haven't had a DDPi rejected for a long time (touch wood-like substance...) that was because of a checksum issue.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 13:50

I ended up re-zipping the DDP folders and re-uploading the files, and haven't had any complaints, so I assume it was all ok. I've found with our relatively slow upload speed (2.4mbs) the .zip file can get corrupted if there are any interruptions like teenagers playing online games, so perhaps something like that happened...or perhaps just the work experience student in Hong Kong was in charge of downloading at their end!
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue Jan 27, 2015 09:31

In the 'old' days of DDP on Exabyte, I once had a tape that was rejected by a plant in the US. After testing the returned tape as '100% OK' on my Sadie rig, I put a new label on the tape and sent it back...and it passed with flying colours.

Thomas Grubb wrote:I ended up re-zipping the DDP folders and re-uploading the files, and haven't had any complaints, so I assume it was all ok. I've found with our relatively slow upload speed (2.4mbs) the .zip file can get corrupted if there are any interruptions like teenagers playing online games, so perhaps something like that happened...or perhaps just the work experience student in Hong Kong was in charge of downloading at their end!
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096