difference general rehearsal - live takes - mixer ?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
ARS

difference general rehearsal - live takes - mixer ?

Postby ARS » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:47

Hello,

I am coming from 20 years of Soundscape, where you can assign any output to any take/part in the edit.
In the mixer you can also put more than one playback track / strip - this is irrelevant in this case.

This means, I can give the 8-track live take output 1-8, and the rehearsal takes 9-16.
I can copy the mixer strips and make slight corrections - especially in the reverb sends (live take = much dryer !)

In Soundscape I can still edit and crossfade between the two versions - on just one (8track) virtual track !!!

Is there an elegant way of doing this in Pyramix ?

The only obvious ways I see:

a. two destination tracks, and do manual fade in-outs to have "fake" crossfades
The problem here is with corrections and keeping everything together.

b. finding a way to first create one mix for the live take, and another mix for the rehearsal take.
Then -somehow- glue that automation to the parts.
During editing the automation should somehow stick to the parts and do nice transitions during the crossfades.
Is this possible ?

c. Is there a third and very elegant way ?

d. mix everything first and edit the stereo takes - I never do that. It happens often a client wants a slight balance change AFTER the edit, in some part.

Thanks for any helpful tip !

fl

Re: difference general rehearsal - live takes - mixer ?

Postby fl » Thu Dec 04, 2014 18:23

ARS wrote:In Soundscape I can still edit and crossfade between the two versions - on just one (8track) virtual track !!!
Is there an elegant way of doing this in Pyramix ?

My understanding of your intention is that you wish to create an edited assembly of a complete performance drawn from both rehearsal and performance takes - do I have that right? Is the only difference between rehearsal and performance the reverb-sucking presence of the audience, or were these two different sessions recorded on two separate occasions (in two different rooms)?

Here are three suggestions, all of which involve editing to a single Track Group of eight Tracks, which should make after-the-fact re-editing and re-mixing more immune to timing errors creeping in:

1. If it's just a case of different reverberation, install a Sub-Group bus in your Mixer, with a Reverb plug-in installed - then automate adding more or less reverb as needed, following the transitions from rehearsal to performance.

2. If you need a finer degree of control, consider Rendering the performance material through the Effects Rack with a Reverb plug-in (and any other processing you might require - EQ perhaps?), so that you wind up with a new set of Clips which, ahem, match the sound quality of the rehearsal. If you feel you need to, you could do this a track at a time. Once you have this done, you can edit, re-edit, mix and re-mix as desired, secure in the knowledge that all your material is as close a match as you can manage.

3. If you wish to apply all "matching" processing as part of the mix, configure your Mixer with two Sub-Groups and a single Master Output bus (Sub-Groups and Master Bus should have the same number of channels). Disable the routing connecting each mixer Strip directly to the Master Bus, so that the only sources feeding the output come from the Sub-Groups, one of which will have a Reverb plus any other plug-ins required. Now you can automate either the feeds to, or the outputs from, each Sub-Group, and I believe there may be a way to link these automation moves to the Clip structure in the Timeline such that any subsequent shifts in the temporal positioning of the Clips will be accompanied by a corresponding shift in the Automation timing. Worst case: you'll have to tweak the Automation moves manually.

I have very limited experience with Automation combined with Clip editing, and there is probably a control for establishing this link buried somewhere in the Automation menu - perhaps someone with more experience with Automation will contribute to this thread.

Or you could just use Soundscape.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.125

avi

Postby avi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 00:08

Hi both,
Frank - following your suggestion of rendering the rehearsal material first to give it it's new acoustic, may I suggest another way of achieving that?
- Place your concert media in one directory, and rehearsal media in another.
- make your edit, into one, single set of 8-tracks
- now 'unmount' the folder containing the the rehearsal media
- you are left with an edit consisting of only the concert clips, all int he right place with fades in/out of each clip
- plug up your reverb, or whatever, and record in as required to match the two sets of material
- re-mount the rehearsal material. Master as if it were all from one session.

This may or may not prove more complicated depending on your working method, whether there are later corrections / additions to make, or... etc., but another method for the toolbox!

A.
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jan 08, 2015 00:31

Very clever.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.125