Pyramix failed to create media

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
OlleGrane

Pyramix failed to create media

Postby OlleGrane » Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:18

Hi!

This awkwardly happened on the third day of a pianorecording.
I´m running PMX 7.1 native on a HP Elitebook 6930p with RME Babyface, two channels at 24bit 88.2 khz and the machine is running at about 8% cpu power.
A breeze.
All of a sudden (after 6 hours of recorded material) I get the message "Pyramix failed to create media harddrive\folder\clipname and take# + increment of take#".

From other posts here of the same kind of problem I can´t deduce any resemblance to my problem or session. I´ve never experienced it before.
So, trying first to rename the clip. Problem still there.
Running an older save of the same session and importing the latest recorded clips (up to recent session); now I can record, but after one or two takes I get the same message again.
Now creating a new session with the same setup as previous session and starting from approximately the same place in the (now empty) timeline (not importing the previous takes into the new session) I get a fresh start and record three clips, then get the message again.
Starting yet another session and records remainder of the project into one continous file (letting the computer just record without stopping) to finish project without making customer mad.

Still no resolution - has anybody any idea what causes pyramix to act this way?
Is it something with a library file somewhere that needs to be reset / deleted / emptied some way?
Haven´t had this issue before...
Regards
/Olle
Olle Grane
Green Hat Music & Sound

Pyramikx V9.1 Native
Win 7 PC according to the Merging spec of june 2010 with RAID 1+0 audio drive 1TB
HP Z-Book native
Merging HAPI / RME Babyface interfaces

mpdonahue

Re: Pyramix failed to create media

Postby mpdonahue » Fri Feb 14, 2014 17:40

One or two quick questions:
1) are you recording to an external USB drive?
2) have you checked your advanced system power settings to make sure that all the suspend/sleep features are turned off? Sometimes you have to go into the device manager and get properties of the device in question to turn off the power saving features.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

OlleGrane

Postby OlleGrane » Fri Feb 14, 2014 20:55

1) are you recording to an external USB drive?

- Yes, a WD My Passport Ultra. Never had this issue with my older WD My Passport, but even when copying the session to the older drive I got the same error message.
I´ll try turning the power saving features off!

Thanks for your reply and suggestion!
Olle Grane
Green Hat Music & Sound

Pyramikx V9.1 Native
Win 7 PC according to the Merging spec of june 2010 with RAID 1+0 audio drive 1TB
HP Z-Book native

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 05:48

I had a similar problem recently which turned out to be an audio file that was created with 0kbytes somehow. Once that file was deleted, things recorded normally again. Maybe check the media drive for a suspicious file and delete it.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Feb 15, 2014 23:28

Adding to the other suggestions:

Make sure that you have "Unique File Name Extension" checked in the "Information & Settings" window, under the 'Record' tab.

You may want to delete any "__Quickmount.pml" files from the affected directory and delete the Media Management Database, too.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

OlleGrane

Postby OlleGrane » Mon Feb 17, 2014 07:32

Hi!

I´ve checked for 0kbytes - files, there are none - but thanks for the suggestion!
Yes, the "Unique file name extension"-box is checked, as always.

I´ll look into deleting the Quickmount.pml and Media Management Database and see if it helps.

I have never encountered this problem before, but I rarely record at higher resolutions than 44.1kHz - might be more vulnerable? This was a sort of fragmented project, lot´s of takes (less than a 100), but it´s still only some 8GB of information on an almost new and empty USB drive. And the problem transferred to the other trusted drive when copied. And the problem was there even when creating a new session.

Thanks for all your help!
/Olle
Olle Grane
Green Hat Music & Sound

Pyramikx V9.1 Native
HP Z-Book native