Using Mac with Windows

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Larry Elliott

Using Mac with Windows

Postby Larry Elliott » Tue Oct 08, 2013 06:09

To those using Windows on a Mac are you using Bootcamp or a Virtual Machine application?
Thanks
Larry

fl

Re: Using Mac with Windows

Postby fl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 15:26

Boot Camp.

I have always believed that there would be difficulties running a virtual machine on top of a fully running OS, when it comes to accessing things like ASIO audio interfaces or trying to keep DPC interruptions to a minimum.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:33

That was my thought too Frank, but was interested to see if anyone did use a virtual machine. Thanks

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Fri Oct 11, 2013 00:14

bootcamp on mac working successfully here - both editing (MacBook Pro) and recording (MacMini). Unless you need to access both mac and windows ui at the same time then bootcamp seems the most stable option.
Matthew

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Fri Oct 11, 2013 00:20

Thanks Matthew. I would be interested in your MacMini configuration as I have just ordered one for recording rig.
Larry

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:28

While I only use Sequoia for recording, I have had no problems using Windows 7 and Bootcamp, even though my version of Sequoia (8) isn't officially supported on Win7. XP needed tweaking but Win7 ran 'out of the box' with only disabling wireless. It's good to keep the systems totally separate anyway!

One day I may be lucky enough to get a Horus and try it with PMX!

Cheers
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

phaseboy

Postby phaseboy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 22:48

Larry Elliott wrote:To those using Windows on a Mac are you using Bootcamp or a Virtual Machine application?
Thanks
Larry

Disregarding performance concerns - Pyramix won't run in a virtual machine anyway - the security manager will fault.

Best,

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Sun Oct 13, 2013 22:58

Thanks to all for the responses
Larry

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Sun Oct 13, 2013 23:08

A few years back I used to run PMX v5.1 on Win XP via Bootcamp. I've also run PMX using Parallels, Windows in a window. It was using the Bootcamp Windows installation. I've only used it to edit and playback simple stereo tracks. This was is on a very old MacBook (one of the first Intel varieties) and I didn't want to stress it out with anything important.

Julian

jlamar

Postby jlamar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 23:02

I would also like to know the definitive answer to Larry's question; most folks I know who use PMX on a Mac run Bootcamp but one person I know says he has never run it on anything but Parallels. I'm just getting ready to install Windows 7 and PMX and want to know the pros and cons of either approach. Under Paralleles my understanding is that the system will see mac formatted drives just fine, but I am assuming this is not the case for Bootcamp. This would make parallels the more useful scenario for and anyone who wishes not to have to shuttle files from mac-formatted drives to NTFS drives just so PMX can access them, which would be a laborious and time-consuming hassle at the beginning of each project.

fl

Postby fl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 00:14

jlamar wrote:Under Paralleles my understanding is that the system will see mac formatted drives just fine, but I am assuming this is not the case for Bootcamp.

Not so. Since Bootcamp version 3, which came with Mac OS 10.6, Windows installations are able to read HFS+ formatted (Mac OS) disks, and writing capability is easily added with the 3rd party program "MacDrive" - http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive
or Paragon's HFS for Windows -
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

I'd be really curious to learn how your Parallels using friend runs Pyramix, particularly with regard to how he accesses his audio interface (ASIO?), assuming that he runs a Native version.

It's always been my view that running Pyramix from within an operating system running within an emulator within yet another operating system ('doze within Parallels within the Mac OS), is a bad idea as it imposes a lot of unnecessary system load on something that is supposed to run optimally in real-time with low DPC latencies.

If writing to Mac disks is your only hang-up, I'd say get either of the programs mentioned above and be done. In reality, I've found that for the most part, just having the native ability of both the Mac OS and Windows to read the other's disks is sufficient, in that any file transferring I have to do is a simple matter of "pulling" it over from the other side. It's only when you need to "push" that having one of those 3rd party programs becomes necessary. Since Pyramix is my main audio axe, I have very few problems having all my projects and their files on big NTFS formatted disks, and the few rare occasions where I want to work with one on the Mac, are accommodated by simply copying the files over, leaving the originals untouched.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

jlamar

Postby jlamar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 00:30

Thanks so much for your response Frank! It's great to know I should be able to see mac-formatted drives in bootcamp. I installed windows 7 professional yesterday and will post some new questions in a separate thread. I am grateful to this forum for being such a helpful resource.

I'd be really curious to learn how your Parallels using friend runs Pyramix, particularly with regard to how he accesses his audio interface (ASIO?), assuming that he runs a Native version.

Good question - I'll ask him and report back.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Jan 20, 2014 04:39

Parallels creates a virtual Windows sound driver, no ASIO here...unless you bodge in 'ASIO4All', in which case you'd have my sympathies.

I've had Pyramix working within Parallels a few versions back but it was more of a novelty, like 'Gee it works at all...' and isn't really a prime-time option, in my opinion, due to it's lack of responsiveness and the lack of real drivers thing.

Mark may have more recent experience than I did; if he says it doesn't work at all, then that's a just a good thing... ;->

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"