CD/DVD Writer not recognized

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

CD/DVD Writer not recognized

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 20:12

I'm running a Matshita DVD-R UJ-857R (revision HR01) on a MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo using OSX 10.6.8 and Bootcamp 3.2.

I am receiving the following error in DiscWrite:
Cannot initialize the recorder for writing.
Illegal request reported by DVD recorder
Driver error code 02052600h
...disc...not sucessfully recorded

Using My Computer in Windows (XP sp2) I receive the error:
No disc in drive

When trying to burn any file to disc.

The drive works fine on the Mac side!

I have made no changes to the computer whatsoever. It was working fine for many years!

Someone told me Mac used dated drivers so I adjusted the BIOS to put the system clock back a couple of years and reinstalled the Bootcamp drivers, but no luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Kurt
Kurt Briggs 3

Re: CD/DVD Writer not recognized

Postby fl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 13:58

What version of Pyramix are you running?

There is a bug in the latest version (8.0.11) which prevents Pyramix and DiscWrite from seeing an external, USB connected drive, and there is a fix available from Merging. Perhaps you should contact them directly...?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.122
fl

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:14

Frank,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm running PMX 6 on XP SP2
Kurt Briggs 3

Postby fl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 21:01

It looks like we're both running similar rigs - native on a MacBook Pro from a few years ago, via Bootcamp. I would think that one of the first things you should do is update that XP install to SP3, as it may be a pre-requisite to proper CD drive functioning with the GEAR drivers. Also, how did you adjust the BIOS - under Bootcamp this doesn't really exist, being replaced by the EFI partition on your hard disk, which enables the Mac to boot into other operating systems. If you've used some third party BIOS editor, you may have damaged your system and might very well have to start all over again with a fresh Bootcamp and XP installation.

If I recall correctly, I always had issues doing the Pyramix install with all the version 6s - it would hang at the stage where the GEAR drivers were getting installed, and require my quitting one of the running processes in the Task Manager (details can be found in the Tips and Tricks area - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6467 and viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6623).

Have you tried reinstalling Pyramix, using the "Repair" mode of the installer?

The GEAR drivers have always been a little screwy, and worst case, you may have to uninstall them using their Gear Removal Utility - http://www.gearsoftware.com/downloads.p ... emover.exe and then re-install from the Pyramix installer. Before you go to that extreme, you might just want to follow these instructions: http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index. ... _correctly.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 28, 2013 19:17

XP SP3 to start...Before anything else.

Plain vanilla install (no Pyramix) and check that disc writer sees and writes discs under Win XP sp3. *THEN* move on to Pyramix / Discwrite installation.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"
Graemme

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 20:38

Frank,

I keep the computer off the Net and have not been able to work out how to get SP3 onto it. I got as far as to make two slipstream CD/DVDs but didn't get any further. Is hooking it up to update even an option any more? Did Microsoft stop supporting SP2?

I adjusted the BIOS by using the system clock: Date and Time app in Windows. I've not used a third party BIOS tool.

I tried using the repair install with no luck. I also used the Gear uninstall and reinstalled the drivers using PMX repair install, again no luck.

Two observations that strike me as odd: 1) Gear say the driver should be digitally signed and it is not. (I used PMX 6.1.8 MR2 build 791 to reinstall). 2) Device Manager reports that the drive is using a Microsoft driver to run the writer: 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/2001).

Graemme will no doubt tell me that I need to install SP3 first but that post arrived after I tried the above.

Thank you both for your help,

Kurt
Kurt Briggs 3

Postby fl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 22:44

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I keep the computer off the Net and have not been able to work out how to get SP3 onto it. I got as far as to make two slipstream CD/DVDs but didn't get any further. Is hooking it up to update even an option any more? Did Microsoft stop supporting SP2?

I believe that XP will continue to be supported until next year, but everything has definitely moved to SP3. Hooking it up to the internet should prompt Microsoft to send you a giant update file, plus any more recent security updaters. I can't remember when, but sometime in the last five years, XP SP3 became the minimum requirement for just about every audio program and plugin I own, so I'd say, "go for it."

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I adjusted the BIOS by using the system clock: Date and Time app in Windows. I've not used a third party BIOS tool.

Good. Don't scare me like that.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I tried using the repair install with no luck. I also used the Gear uninstall and reinstalled the drivers using PMX repair install, again no luck.

Two observations that strike me as odd: 1) Gear say the driver should be digitally signed and it is not.

I can't say for sure, but it's quite possible that the update to SP3 will correct this.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:2) Device Manager reports that the drive is using a Microsoft driver to run the writer: 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/2001).

I'll have to re-boot to see what my system says, but I seem to recall that it reports a Microsoft driver as well.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Graemme will no doubt tell me that I need to install SP3 first but that post arrived after I tried the above.

If, for any reason, you cannot get the big download from Microsoft to bring you into the fold, I have the Microsoft equivalent of the "combo updater" for SP3, which I could get to you via Dropbox, but a big upload like that will take a while...

Finally, a pre-emptive warning: the update to SP3 can reset a variable called SidSpeed which controls the transfer rate of the Firewire bus, which will cause your Firewire audio interface (I assume) to choke and sputter because it will only be running at 100 Mbps, instead of 400 or 800. If you go through the update and encounter this, don't panic - there is a simple fix.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby fl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 23:12

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Device Manager reports that the drive is using a Microsoft driver to run the writer: 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/2001).

..., which is exactly what my system says.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 23:04

Frank,

I spent a couple of hours hooked up to the Microsoft site with update turned on. I don't think it has downloaded anything. This may be due to the fact that MS stopped supporting SP 2 in 2010! Therefore I would appreciate your "combo loader". I already have a dropbox account.

Thank you,

Kurt
Kurt Briggs 3

Postby fl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 16:52

Kurt,

I've sent you a Personal Message (here in the Mergingforum) containing a link where you can download the XP SP3 updater.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 22:27

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded and installed SP3. I still have the original PMX 6 on the system, but have no disk writing possible in Windows using my computer. It gives me a no disc in the drive error. The writer still works fine under OS X. Do I need to uninstall PMX?

I have checked for recent drivers for the Matshita drive but all I can find are driver download apps which inform me I have outdated drivers but don't include the Matshita driver.

Should I let the machine sit on update for a few hours and see if it downloads some more drivers? Where do I go from here?

Also where do I find the fix for the Sidspeed problem (if it exists)

Thanks,

Kurt
Kurt Briggs 3

Postby fl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 00:40

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Thanks for the link. I've downloaded and installed SP3. I still have the original PMX 6 on the system, but have no disk writing possible in Windows using my computer. It gives me a no disc in the drive error. The writer still works fine under OS X. Do I need to uninstall PMX?

Since the SP3 install has probably overwritten some of the drivers, my first stop would be to re-install the drivers that you installed when you first set up BootCamp on your machine (remember that?, the CD you had to burn that installed the drivers that got Windows to communicate properly with the Mac's internal hardware - it's probably still lying about somewhere - if not, just run BootCamp Utility under the Mac OS and burn yourself a new one).

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I have checked for recent drivers for the Matshita drive but all I can find are driver download apps which inform me I have outdated drivers but don't include the Matshita driver.

Just reinstall the Bootcamp drivers for starters.

I used to worry about getting the latest/greatest drivers for individual bits of hardware for my XP system, but then I came to the conclusion that it's probably best to stick with the drivers that Apple created for Bootcamp users. They work and your system isn't going to change all that much over time, so they will keep on working. I got myself into a lot of trouble, using various Driver Updater programs - all of which served the greater purpose of getting me to worry about fixing stuff that wasn't broken. Once I gave in and told myself that "Apple knows best", life became easier.

Once you've gotten yourself the stage where you have XP SP3 installed, and all the Apple Drivers that correspond with the version of Bootcamp you have used to create your partition, you should probably reinstall Pyramix - either using the "Repair" mode of the installer, or using Windows' "Add/Remove Programs" utility to remove it (which does a nice job of removing all the stuff that Merging installs, while leaving behind any files you may have created, such as settings files, macros and/or templates), and then reinstalling. Worst coming to worst, uninstall and then run the Merging Cleanup utility (which will remove everything to do with the program, including any files you created yourself, so make backups first) - details found here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1298

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Should I let the machine sit on update for a few hours and see if it downloads some more drivers? Where do I go from here?

Windows updating isn't all that "automatic". Selecting "Microsoft Update" from either your "All Programs" or "Control Panels" entries that you get through the "Start" button will take you to a site which will check your system for needed updates, but other times, you have to find the specific hotfix or update for a specific problem. Navigating and searching for things on the Microsoft website is a nightmare, but hopefully you can get things working before you have to go too crazy. The other option is to burn down the whole BootCamp partition, and start again - definitely a last resort.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Also where do I find the fix for the Sidspeed problem (if it exists)

First off, you may not have this problem. If your Firewire audio interface works okay, then just leave everything alone. If it is non-functional or sluggish, read on...

Here is Microsofts response to this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955408/en-us

Have a look at this thread, where I discuss the fix at some length in the second to last message on the first page:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5843&p=18665&hilit=SidSpeed#p18665

There is a whole lotta stuff in there about optimizing XP for audio, and lowering DPC latencies and stuff - if your system is working, just ignore it all. The main issue with setting SidSpeed to rights is getting the driver i.d. number and then establishing the SidSpeed variable in the right place with the right value in the registry.

If you are indeed having clicks and pops and other evidence of DPC latencies, then by all means drag yourself through that thread, as well as going to the source, Timur Born's thread on the RME forum

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4320

..., but I suspect that you've gone through all this stuff already. Just do what you need to get your optical drive up and running with Pyramix.

Oh, one last thing - I've always had issues with the internal drive in my MacBook Pro (version 3.1 from late 2007), unless I select the fastest write speed in DiscWrite's settings. Anything slower, and it refused to work.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby Kurt Briggs 3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 00:48

I've reinstalled the BootCamp drivers in Windows from the Snow Leopard OS X disc. I'm now running SP 3 with BootCamp 3.2 with the original drivers. Windows is still not recognizing the drive properly. It is the same "No disc" error.

I'm beginning to suspect that the drive is going bad and that OS X is more forgiving than Windows, but I did have the drive checked by Apple a few days ago and they say it is fine. One odd thing though is that their system did report the drive as appearing twice.

Is reinstalling Windows the next step, or should I just get ready to reinstall BootCamp and go from square one? If I do that should I reinstall PMX 6.1.8 which I'm running now or the last version 2.x which I believe I had problems with on SP2 so I put back 6.1.8 MR2. Last time I did all the mods suggested in the link you provided. Last thought, would you put a new drive in?

I haven't run the repair reinstall yet since the drive isn't recognized in Windows. By the way my SidSpeed is set at 2.

Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it.
Kurt Briggs 3

Postby fl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:15

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I've reinstalled the BootCamp drivers in Windows from the Snow Leopard OS X disc. I'm now running SP 3 with BootCamp 3.2 with the original drivers. Windows is still not recognizing the drive properly. It is the same "No disc" error.

I'm beginning to suspect that the drive is going bad and that OS X is more forgiving than Windows, but I did have the drive checked by Apple a few days ago and they say it is fine. One odd thing though is that their system did report the drive as appearing twice.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. All that work and still no joy!

When you installed the Bootcamp 3.2 drivers, did you do it from a burned CD? Was Windows able to see this disc prior to doing the driver install? If not, how did you install the drivers?

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:Is reinstalling Windows the next step, or should I just get ready to reinstall BootCamp and go from square one?

It's worth a shot, but it's up to you how much this is worth to you, vs. the amount of time it takes. It might be better in the long run to just get an external USB disc drive, preferably one that has better read/write error performance that the Matsushita drives that Apple used for their laptops (back when laptops had optical disc drives). This is not great from a portability point of view, if your intention was to be able to read and burn CDs at remote locations without having to carry extra gear, but otherwise it might be your best option, especially if you intend to burn discs that will function as replication masters. I guess it comes down to just what you need an optical disc drive for.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:If I do that should I reinstall PMX 6.1.8 which I'm running now or the last version 2.x which I believe I had problems with on SP2 so I put back 6.1.8 MR2. Last time I did all the mods suggested in the link you provided. Last thought, would you put a new drive in?

Even though it's not spelled out in so many words on the Merging webpage, you really should have XP SP3 to run any version of Pyramix 6, especially above 6.1. Now that you're "up to date", you might find you have success where formerly you had problems so trying Pyramix 6.2 SP2 might be worth it. I'd certainly try to reinstall whatever version of Pyramix you want to use (either in Repair mode, or doing the full Uninstall/Re-install thing) before spending money on a replacement optical drive. Does it work with a USB connected drive?

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote:I haven't run the repair reinstall yet since the drive isn't recognized in Windows.

Okay, now I'm confused. Are you saying that you've been installing Pyramix from disc? And not from the downloadable file from Merging? You shouldn't need a functioning optical drive to install any version of Pyramix - and any of the installers are not just updaters, but rather the complete installation, so theoretically they should fix whatever ails ya. Theoretically.

Kurt Briggs 3 wrote: By the way my SidSpeed is set at 2.

Excellent - the very thing you want. That's a bullet dodged and I'm guessing that your audio interface, whatever it may be, is working just fine with Pyramix.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that you might have misconfigured something when you were optimizing things to lower your DPC Latencies (which I'm assuming you did). One time, I disabled the Printer Spooler Service, and found that this prevented DiscWrite from functioning altogether, so don't do that. Is it possible that you've disabled some service or device in either the Registry or the Device Manager that is preventing Windows from seeing your drive? Can you recall what optimizations you've done?
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby fl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 15:58

Some further thoughts...

Now that you're running XP SP3, what do you see in the Device Manager, particularly in the area dealing with the optical drive - any little yellow triangles superimposed on the various drivers? Are all the drivers for the optical drive indeed enabled?

Do you have any other programs which access the optical drive - something like Foobar or Sonaris' DDP Creator - will those programs "see" your laptop's internal drive?
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Next

Return to Pyramix Native