No dual cpu support

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
ppet

No dual cpu support

Postby ppet » Tue Dec 06, 2011 18:44

IN the "Harware forum", it is stated that Pyramix is a multi-threaded software, and as so, is "de facto" multi cpu as well.
simply: False.
I have a Tyan motherboard with 2 quad core opteron 8381 HE on it (8 cores), powered by W7 ultimate, when running pyramix native my task manager shows that only 4 cores (1 cpu) are used by Pyramix. When I push a little the plugin load on Pyramix I can overload Pyramix while my second cpu is at near 0 charge.

Any hint ;) or a marketing limitation to push masscore ?

Cheers (and tables)
Philippe

klaukholm

Re: No dual cpu support

Postby klaukholm » Wed Dec 07, 2011 17:52

It is not at all false marketing. It uses four cores as you say.
If you need more power, get masscore, it has more power than anything out there and masscore pricing is perfectly reasonable.

tim

Postby tim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 18:35

agree 100%. happy holidays, everyone...
Tim Martyn
Phoenix Audio
Glen Rock, NJ
www.phoenixaudiollc.com

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Thu Dec 08, 2011 13:52

As far as I know, Win7 Ultimate is not what Merging recommends, but Win7 Pro instead. I don´t think it may make any diference in the use of the all cores though.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

ppet

Postby ppet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 13:58

I also tried W7 Pro with same results: only one cpu used.
I like the first reply:" not false marketing... go with masscore !" Exactly what I expected!
But what I don't like is bullshit. Just for your information Protools native 10 uses all the 8 cores of my 2 cpus.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Sun Dec 11, 2011 14:06

Just for your information Protools native 10 uses all the 8 cores of my 2 cpus.

I guess that no DAW is perfect. They all have good and not so good points. Just try to do a non real time bounce in PT with your 8 cores now :)
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sun Dec 11, 2011 16:33

ppet wrote:I also tried W7 Pro with same results: only one cpu used.
I like the first reply:" not false marketing... go with masscore !" Exactly what I expected!
But what I don't like is bullshit. Just for your information Protools native 10 uses all the 8 cores of my 2 cpus.

And there is an arbitrary 32ch IO linitation to PT native (not hd native)
It is fine that you wish merging would use all 8 cores, but there is nothing false about their marketing in this department.

I suggest you make a feature request instead of moaning here
Merging listens to constructive suggestions from its core users

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Sun Dec 11, 2011 19:17

I have a feeling that Masscore will soon be available as an upgrade option to Pyramix Native too, since the Mykerinos are basically doing I/O now.

Saying it in another way, Masscore will be also available as an option for non Mykerinos users, for sampling rates up to 192 khz. Then you can use any other manufacturer´s ASIO card, as the Mykerinos are on their way out, due to the introduction of Horus and Ravenna. DSD/DXD will be Horus dependant though, but considering that most people don´t do DXD/DSD, releasing the Masscore to non Mykerinos users makes more sense as a commercial move, IMO.

Unless Merging comes out with their own generation of new cards, for those not wanting to go the Horus route. Even considering that possibility, I still would welcome Masscore option availability to Native users.

Since Masscore is a technology that relies on CPU´s for it´s processing power, I guess it´s a logical choice, taking in consideration what others are doing now, namely PT with their new disk cache technology. Other DAW´s like Nuendo already let you configure CPU core division for certain tasks.

I think it would be a shot in the foot to make Masscore dependant on the Horus only, as a lot of people already have their choice of converters. Also, I think that the Masscore will soon embrace plugin processing other than VS3. Most people do not need the massive I/O that Masscore provides, but want to use it´s power for plugin processing and system tasks. In reality, it´s very easy to reach CPU limit in Pyramix when using VST heavy processing plugins, but that is also true of other DAW´s, so it would make sense to let Masscore do something to make a diference.

Well, this is just a personnal opinion of a failed marketeer of course. 8O
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3

jeremyvanslyke

Postby jeremyvanslyke » Fri Dec 16, 2011 00:57

Unless Merging comes out with their own generation of new cards, for those not wanting to go the Horus route.

If I'm not mistaken, Horus alone is not enough for a masscore system. In order to run masscore, there is an "option card," costs a couple hundred bucks, that allows for latency free operation in and out of Pyramix. It seems that the ethernet port of PCs is not quite as quick in and out as what is possible with a PCIe etc card.

The product is called "Masscore Single Port Gigabit Desktop Adapter." Currently available in PCIe only. It would be interesting to see if an express34 or PCMCIA option becomes available to allow Masscore operation on a laptop.
Jeremy VanSlyke
Owner / Music Producer at Leaf Music Inc.
4-2526 Agricola Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
Music and Film/TV Post-Production
tel: 902-802-1526
web: leaf-music.ca

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Fri Dec 16, 2011 14:19

If I'm not mistaken, Horus alone is not enough for a masscore system. In order to run masscore, there is an "option card," costs a couple hundred bucks, that allows for latency free operation in and out of Pyramix. It seems that the ethernet port of PCs is not quite as quick in and out as what is possible with a PCIe etc card.

Jeremy,

I was not refering to that type of card. What you mention is an ethernet card that is optimised for Ravenna/Masscore to connect to Horus and fits in a PCIe slot. Thus avoiding as you say, the motherboards built in ethernet port(s)

What I was talking about, was of the possibility of a new generation of cards to replace the Mykerinos, in case you´re using Masscore and not have(or want) the Horus.

Let´s face it, if (in future Pyramix versions), Masscore will only be available through the Horus/Ravenna enabled converter, I can see a lot of people going Native.

That´s why I said that it would be interesting to see if Merging will adapt Masscore(if possible) to be presented as an option to Native users as well, eliminating the need to have either Horus or a Ravenna enabled product to I/O interfacing and allowing Masscore users the freedom to use other manufacturers´I/O cards. Just I/O of course, as DSP will (as is mostly now) handled in the computer CPU.

And Masscore will have to extend to non native VS3 plugin processing (read VST) to be able to give users something more than extensive I/O, which most users don´t need anyway. Watch what PT is doing now with it´s new RAM disk cache technology. Lots and lots of plugins in a single session and also enormous amount of I/O through their new HDX cards(at a price of course). Compared to that,in terms of plugin processing, MAsscore is nothing, since you can´t use it for plugin processing other than VS3. Note the ported Euphonix channel processing that´s being offered as well.
It´s about time Merging revamps it´s Bus and Strip tools too, to keep in pace with the competition IMO.

Well, but this is just a line of thought of course. I bet our Merging friends will be reading this lines and amusing themselves, as they already have an idea of what´s next :D
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3