"Skips" in my recordings

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

"Skips" in my recordings

Postby jeamphe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:35

I do two tracks mastering and when I listen to my recordings it sometimes "jumps" or "skips" whatever, like it's missing a beat. I did several recordings of the same song and the skips happened at different places. It does not seem to be related to processing, as the trouble shows wheter it's processing a lot or not.

I'm on AMD, with 7200 rpm HD and 2x 512 megs memory... what else? Block size?

aaaaaaargh.... computers!

jf
jeamphe

Postby Silas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:54

Hi JF,

What version of PMX are you running? What hardware IO are you using? Also are these skips actually missing audio from the file or are they strictly a playback issue and the file is complete (therefor they would probably happen in different places each time you played back)?

Best,
Silas
Silas

Postby Silas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:54

Hi JF,

What version of PMX are you running? What hardware IO are you using? Also are these skips actually missing audio from the file or are they strictly a playback issue and the file is complete (therefor they would probably happen in different places each time you played back)?

Best,
Silas
Silas

Postby jeamphe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 22:41

[quote="Silas"]Hi JF,

Best,
Silas[/quote]
Hi Silas,
I'm using v4.3 sp2, I purchased it recently. The bug happens at the same place on the completed file, but each time I redo the recording the bug happens at a different place. I'd say yes, there's some audio missing here. Clearly a recording issue. I'm using the onboard sound card in my PC, which is some kind of 24 bit Creative sound blaster I think, I don't have the Mykerinos of course.
Someone pointed out that cluster size matters, I'm at 4k now... trying to find out a way to go to 64K.
Thanks!
jeamphe

Postby Silas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 23:32

Hi JF,

I would say definitely upgrade to 4.3.SP3a. There was a timecode issue in earlier versions of 4.3 that could cause audio drop outs in the recorded file *despite passing clean audio to the monitors during recording*. I had a few of these and didn't notice them until after recording because of this. Sometimes PMX would seperate the new recording into two different clips at the point where the drop out occurred which was the only indicator I could find.

Shortly v5.0 should ship which will have some nice benefits for Native users (hig sample rate support , I think??) and (I hope) will have all of this firmly behind us...

Best,
Silas
Silas

Postby jeamphe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 00:49

[quote="Silas"]Hi JF,

I would say definitely upgrade to 4.3.SP3a. There was a timecode issue in earlier versions of 4.3 that could cause audio drop outs in the recorded file *despite passing clean audio to the monitors during recording*. I had a few of these and didn't notice them until after recording because of this. Sometimes PMX would seperate the new recording into two different clips at the point where the drop out occurred which was the only indicator I could find.

Shortly v5.0 should ship which will have some nice benefits for Native users (hig sample rate support , I think??) and (I hope) will have all of this firmly behind us...

Best,
Silas[/quote]
Well Silas, I do have v. 4.3.5 sp3 but the trouble you describe is very much what I have but there's no splits showing.
A technician thinks cluster size might be the culprit, my HD is formated using the windows gizmo which formats in 4k blocks, 64K is recommended by PMX.
thanks,
jf
jeamphe

I got something wrong

Postby jeamphe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 06:31

Clusters in NTFS volumes cannot be larger than 4k, apparently only FAT 32 can.

If this may help, doing a mixdown "ctrl Y" sounds fine as there are no tics & clicks & drops of any kind that way.

jf
jeamphe

Re: I got something wrong

Postby jeamphe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 05:42

[quote="jeamphe"]Clusters in NTFS volumes cannot be larger than 4k, apparently only FAT 32 can.
Naaaahh... I reformatted clusters to 64k but no results.
If this may help, doing a mixdown "ctrl Y" sounds fine as there are no tics & clicks & drops of any kind that way.

I get the ticks & jumps even when I copy flat. I pushed the priority level ogf PMX to the highest, no better.

I'm seriously thinking this is an IRQ issue.

jf
jeamphe

Return to Pyramix Native