Background usage of the disk

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
musicianroc

Background usage of the disk

Postby musicianroc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 01:49

Hey, guys

Recently I was using a mac format external hard drive to do some editing using Pyramix. Everything works perfectly except for the time I want to eject the hard drive in "Macdrive" software.

Every time I finished up the Pyramix working and close the Pyramix, the disk just cannot be removed safely.

The only reason I can think of is some resources are been used at background by some merging software, but I truly have no idea what are they. Is there any settings or configuration I need to be aware of?

BTW, I have already followed the win 10 configuration from merging website.

Thanks, everyone. I really don't want to ruin my hard drive....like nobody wants it....

fl

Re: Background usage of the disk

Postby fl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 15:15

I get the same thing with my NTFS formatted work drive (and this is under Win7) - most of the time the only way to un-mount it is to re-boot the computer, turning the drive off just before the re-start. My speculation is that it has more to do with Windows scanning the contents, despite having Journaling turned off, than it has to do with Pyramix.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

charlienyc

Re: Background usage of the disk

Postby charlienyc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:13

This is normal behavior with Pyramix. With extensive use of external hard drives over many years and on a multitude of systems, it's safe to point to Pyramix as the cause. Perhaps it does something to Windows to make it behave this way, but nothing I've ever done in Windows without running Pyramix would prevent me from removing a hard drive using 'safely remove hardware.'

It would be nice if this weren't the case. I'll take a shot and add it as a suggestion. Perhaps it hasn't been suggested previously.
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi