Audition in Media manager ?

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Audition in Media manager ?

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Jun 01, 2017 02:27

You would think after using Pyramix for 7 years i would know some of the rudimentary things...like auditioning audio in the media manager...but alas....
I just migrated over to a new machine with Windows 10 and I thought I had move all of my settings. So far everything is working well without any drama. but i can't make heads or tails of the manual when it comes to the monitor settings.

Dearly beloved, a kick in the right direction would be appreciated. :roll:

Rick
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 10.2 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220
RickTarrant

Re: Audition in Media manager ?

Postby fl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 14:24

To audition a file from the Media Manager or more accurately, in the Media Manager's Trimmer, you need only to click on the file to highlight it, and then hit the space-bar to get it to start playing. There should be no need for you to alter your Monitor settings - it should just work.

You can use the Trimmer to get visual feedback that this is indeed what is happening with its little cursor skittering across the display. Pyramix needs to know that your "focus" is indeed the Media Manager, and clicking on the file does this. When you're done, and wish to re-focus back to the main Timeline, you should be in the habit of clicking somewhere in the main window (track headers are good for this) so that Pyramix understands that this is where the focus is now. If you neglect doing this, you can still be focused on the M.M. as far as Pyramix is concerned, and a space-bar tap will still result in (now hidden) Trimmer playback instead of your main Timeline. If I had a nickel for every time I've forgotten to do this...

Unfortunately the Trimmer in the Media Manager has been buggy for years (does this make it a "tradition"?). The menu commands (in the Media Manager) about showing or hiding the Trimmer usually work in reverse (Don't Show results in it becoming visible, Show makes it disappear..., Auto Show works sometimes, not others), so it's best to play about with it to get it to work for the current project. Expect that you'll have to do this every time you re-start Pyramix.

The Trimmer can be re-sized by clicking and holding on its lower margin, then dragging to make it larger or smaller. You can select which tracks you want to hear (in a multitrack, interleaved file), as well as selecting the time range you wish to use when it's "Placed" into the Timeline on a track or tracks. This would be the "Trimming" part...
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.4/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.122
fl

Re: Audition in Media manager ?

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Jun 01, 2017 17:11

Thank you Frank. And thank you for being so active on this board. I will endeavor to be a better PMX citizen myself.
Oddly, it is auditioning just fine this morning like it always did. My guess is that clicking and probing from last night did not take effect until i restarted. It would be nice if PMX had a pop-up telling me that this would not change until a re-start occured.

Anyway, all is right again.

Thanks
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 10.2 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220
RickTarrant