Number of outputs in Native packages?

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
ljudatervinning

Number of outputs in Native packages?

Postby ljudatervinning » Mon Mar 20, 2017 20:52

Hi!

I can't get my head around how many channels you can play back from the various Native packages.
As I understand Native STD can record 92/48/24 ch, but only play back 5.1=6 channels?
Native pro can only play back 9.1=10 channels?
If this is maximum output, how do you manage multiple listen back mixes/channels in bigger sessions? Do I need Masscore to do that?
Pyramix Pro 25th / Ravenna MAD
win10 Pro 1909 / Nvidia RTX 3080, 4 monitors
win10 Pro 1909 / Lenovo P50, 4K

fl

Re: Number of outputs in Native packages?

Postby fl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 17:00

ljudatervinning wrote:As I understand Native STD can record 92/48/24 ch, but only play back 5.1=6 channels?
Native pro can only play back 9.1=10 channels?

That's right - remember that there's a difference between output channels (going to be limited by your audio interface hardware), the number of Tracks available for a Project, and the size of the largest Mix Bus you can establish in your Pyramix Mixer (both of which will be determined by your Pyramix version and license).

The stuff about 5.1 and 9.1 deals with the Mixing Busses available within the program. Native is limited to a max. of 5.1 - for the Mixer, whereas Native Pro bumps that up to 9.1. That's simply an arbitrary limit imposed upon the Native and Native Pro licenses, respectively. If you do need 9.1 capability, I believe you can purchase that separately, as an optional "a la carte" upgrade to your existing Native (not Pro) license. Note that the version you own determines the amount you pay for Annual Software Maintenance, so it can sometimes be a thrifty choice to just purchase the capabilities you need, a la carte, rather than upgrading to a more extensive version.

In a basic Native Project, there's no reason you couldn't add a separate Stereo Bus to a Pyramix Mixer that has a 5.1 Bus already - a common scenario would be the use of an Aux. Send to feed stereo mixes to performers' headphones, while monitoring in 5.1 in the control room. You just need to have a sufficient number of hardware outputs for everything.

You can still route multiple outputs - either directly from the Mixer, or by configuring the Monitor and its various Speaker set-ups. Once again, the the total number of "feeds" will be set by your hardware.

Mass Core is really the option to go for if you need large numbers of tracks combined with high sample rates and/or DSD. If you're happy with 24 bit PCM and 96 or 192 kHz., Native can work just great.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

ljudatervinning

Re: Number of outputs in Native packages?

Postby ljudatervinning » Wed Mar 22, 2017 13:33

Thank you Frank!

So limitation of 5.1, 9.1 etc. is just inside a mixbus/stream.
That makes sense!
Pyramix Pro 25th / Ravenna MAD
win10 Pro 1909 / Nvidia RTX 3080, 4 monitors
win10 Pro 1909 / Lenovo P50, 4K