Pyramix Native vs Others..

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Pyramix Native vs Others..

Postby Kesshutsu » Sat Aug 07, 2004 08:44

What makes $600 Pyramix Native superior to other audio software such as $300 Adobe Audition?
Kesshutsu

Postby aomahana » Sun Aug 08, 2004 02:57

A good question.

I still use Audition as well as Pyramix, because of some of the limitations imposed on Native, (e.g. the number of recording channels, and sampling frequency).

I chose Pyramix Native Media Bundle, because of it's ability to import and export, AKAI DD Plus files to and from my beloved DR16PROs. No other software will allow this.
aomahana

Re: Pyramix Native vs Others..

Postby Graemme » Sun Aug 08, 2004 19:58

Hi there,

The simplest answer that I can give you is this: The editing model, including the fade editor, is what sets Pyramix Native apart from Audition, WaveLab, Nuendo, etc.

Best,

Graemme

Kesshutsu wrote:What makes $600 Pyramix Native superior to other audio software such as $300 Adobe Audition?
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"
Graemme

Postby Kesshutsu » Mon Aug 09, 2004 21:04

Graemme wrote:Hi there,

The simplest answer that I can give you is this: The editing model, including the fade editor, is what sets Pyramix Native apart from Audition, WaveLab, Nuendo, etc.

Best,

Graemme

Kesshutsu wrote:What makes $600 Pyramix Native superior to other audio software such as $300 Adobe Audition?

To be fair, I posted about the same issue to the Audition community to read their thoughts about it. I quote below..

SteveG wrote:I don't know what the third reply in that thread is all about - Audition has a fully editable fade envelope that you can apply at the click of a button. And as for the editing facilties, I'd like to know just how many copies of it they've sold to radio stations around the world - because I don't think that it's very many.

A lot of broadcasters decided that if CEP/AA is good enough for the BBC (and it most certainly is, especially the new version) then it will be good enough for them too - which it obviously is. Most of the griping you get these days from non-users is simply because they're pissed off that they bought the wrong product... like the guy in your thread. He hasn't said what's actually wrong with the edit mode in Audition, has he? Perhaps you'd like to ask him, whilst pointing out that there's a rather flexible fader under Amplitude>Envelope that you can program to have any fade law you could dream up - and store it as an instantly available preset. What the hell more does he want from a fade in/fade out?

The other way to look at it is to note that he said
    "The simplest answer that I can give you is this: The editing model, including the fade editor, is what sets Pyramix Native apart from Audition, WaveLab, Nuendo, etc."
and wonder whether it's rather worse than Audition, WaveLab and Nuendo... :lol:
Kesshutsu

Postby Graemme » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:45

Well, I suggest you try it for yourself...

:)
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"
Graemme

Postby Kesshutsu » Thu Aug 12, 2004 04:16

Graemme wrote:Well, I suggest you try it for yourself...

:)

^^ I really would like to try it. Unfortunately, unlike many other competitors, Merging has yet to make a demo for their software.
Kesshutsu

Postby benoit » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:42

...you might easily get a demo @ a merging representation.

benoit
hochschule der künste bern
musik & medienkunst / studioleitung
www.hkb.bfh.ch
benoit

Postby Geo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 17:55

Call Alan Thacker at 847-272-0500. He is in Northbrook, IL
Geo

Erm..

Postby Kesshutsu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 23:07

:? A software demo people! That isn't so unreasonable, is it? I mean this is a software-only pyramix.. You don't expect every single person wishing to see this software actually have to go out of his home to see it, do you? XD
Kesshutsu

Postby benoit » Sun Aug 15, 2004 22:44

...it might be nice to get your first pyramix-contact with a fresh mind thanks to a little walk! ;-)

benoit
www.hkb.bfh.ch
benoit

Pyramix vs Others

Postby rathammer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:24

People!

I have some fundamental questions to ask:

1) Did anyone ever actually LISTEN to what a DAW does to sound? If you do, you will instantly notice why Pyramix is the way to go! Adobe etc are in a much lower league when it comes to non destructive multitrack editing, that is clear. So there is no comparison there. Those are designed for other applications. The few programmes that are real DAWs devide in 2 groups: ProTools & Sequoia reliably destroy the sonic qualities of music. Nuendo, Logic, Cubase etc are meant to act as midi arranging stations, they are not for Multitrack editing. Try to edit a 64track Bigband recording in Nuendo. OK, it works, but you get old and tired after the 20th edit. The same process in Pyramix takes about 2 minutes instead of an hour. And, yes, I used and configured all the shortcuts in those other programmes, too, but still Pyramix is the only one that really makes it work.

2) Demos: Just download the real programme, install it and start it: If it does not find the Merging Hardware and if you don't enter a key, it will automatically start in demo mode. So you always have the latest version as a demo! Great, no?

So: Compare the sound and you will know why Merging is worth any Cent it costs!
rathammer

Postby davy lamb » Mon Dec 06, 2004 21:14

SteveG wrote:A lot of broadcasters decided that if CEP/AA is good enough for the BBC (and it most certainly is, especially the new version) then it will be good enough for them too - which it obviously is. Most of the griping you get these days from non-users is simply because they're pissed off that they bought the wrong product...

BBC also has more than one Pyramix system.
Horses for courses?
davy lamb

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 21:17

Kesshutsu wrote:What makes $600 Pyramix Native superior to other audio software such as $300 Adobe

-Interior sound quality
-Source-Destination editing
-superior fade editor
-adding flexibility and mobility to existing "real" PMX-Systems

B.
Bernhard Guettler

Postby Rustami » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:33

I'm Nuendo user. And like Pyramix too. But those statements are looking strange:

Graemme wrote:The simplest answer that I can give you is this: The editing model, including the fade editor, is what sets Pyramix Native apart from Audition, WaveLab, Nuendo, etc.

If you are talking about v.1.x, I could agree with you, but starting from v.2 Nuendo have advanced crossfade editor.

rathammer wrote:People!

I have some fundamental questions to ask:

1) Did anyone ever actually LISTEN to what a DAW does to sound? If you do, you will instantly notice why Pyramix is the way to go!

DAWs doesn't really sounds different. You can test this - for the first time just make mono mix of several tracks in Nuendo and Pyramix - then make phase reverse for the one mix and place them one below other on two tracks. I won't be surprised if you will have zero at output bus.

Nuendo, Logic, Cubase etc are meant to act as midi arranging stations, they are not for Multitrack editing. Try to edit a 64track Bigband recording in Nuendo. OK, it works, but you get old and tired after the 20th edit.

Not true. I assume, you didn't know Nuendo really good. What exactly doesn't allow to make fast multitrack edits in Nuendo?

BTW, there is a workaround in Nuendo that allows to make 4-point editing too. Not so perfect, but it works.

Againg, respect to all!

Good luck!
Nuendo 3.02, OSX 10.3.9., DUAL G4 867, 1GIG of RAM,
Rustami

Postby benoit » Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:02

hi rustami,

i think that the obvious overall better editing performance in pmx is easy to demonstate with big projects...

some small illustrations:

- no librairies in nuendo, which i use a lot in pmx to store portions of edited material, among other things
- you don't see what you do when you crossfade until you've had overlapped and hit X
- i find the "phantom" (transparent)-view of trimmed media extremely usefull in pmx for easy orientation - doesn't exist in nuendo
- nuendo's crossfade-editor in indeed a nice step compared to the old one, but still not on the same level as pmx' one
- the lane-concept in nuendo is quite limitating. i prefer a lot the way pmx handles the tracks-to-mixer connections: route as many tracks as you like in a single strip without thinking about which layer is not going to be heard blablabla
- and of course the whole pq'ing thing. i'd go mad when doing classical music in nuendo and wanting to give roughs out of some hundred takes (with indexes of course) to the artists...

mentionning all the other clever things you'll find out when editing intensively with pmx would go a little too far, i'm really bad at typing! ;-)

but i jaleous many other fonctions that nuendo has been offering from the start...especially the whole midi- and notation-thing and the very opened plugins-handling.

cheers,
benoit
www.hkb.bfh.ch
benoit

Next

Return to Pyramix Native