Reverb in Pyramix

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Reverb in Pyramix

Postby SoundKlang » Thu May 22, 2014 10:05

This could be in the general discussion forum as well - but I am a native user, so ...

For reverb I am looking for the most realistic illusion. I just discovered the QL Spaces reverb, a very natural sounding preset impulse reverb. To my ears it sounds more like placing an instrument in that space instead of adding high quality reverb to a track. While some compressors add "glue" to a whole mix, this reverb is more like "glueing" a track into the mix - if that makes some sense. It improves localization. When feeding it from a stereo room mic, the result was as if the microphone recording was one quality step better than it actually is. My new favourite.

Since Pyramix is used a lot for classical, acoustic and mastering, it may be interesting to know that in almost all locations one front impulse and one rear impulse was recorded. In some locations multiple impulse responses were recorded, trying to mimic the acoustical characteristics and/or room position of different instruments. So far I had some very convincing results with kind of funky sampled and programmed real drums and sampled string ensemble with three different voices (probably basses, celli, violas - not a classical expert), each with a different impulse response of the same hall.

And here comes the downside: even though cpu usage is below 20% in Pyramix Native 8, the QL Spaces crackles no matter what buffer size. My workaround: I use an aux send bus with outputs set to two channels of the MT Asio bridge. Then I run the Standalone version of QL Spaces with input and output set to MT Asio bridge. Back in Pyramix I use a stereo track with input coming from the MT Asio Bridge output of the QL Spaces standalone version. I record the reverb to an additional reverb track for each instrument. For my taste, the result is worth the effort.

I am not affiliated with anybody involved in the production or distribution of this reverb. I just understand that some Pyramix users make quite an effort to get that last bit of improved sound quality and I think this is an option worth to try it out.

(Btw. something different: I am very impressed by the improved stability of Pyramix V8. Days of work without a single crash. I don't know where the other audio sequencers are at this moment, but I feel no reason to try them.)
SoundKlang

Re: Reverb in Pyramix

Postby fl » Thu May 22, 2014 19:33

Are you sure that the crackle you're encountering is the result of processing load, and not clipping from excessive input or output levels? Does Pyramix ever give you a notice that there is insufficient Latency Compensation time allocated? Have you looked at something like DPC Latency Checker or LatencyMon when you're running the QL Spaces? It seems odd that you get crackles when it's installed in a Pyramix session, but not when you have it running as an independent process at the same time as Pyramix.

I've been using Christian Knufinke's SIR2 - http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2.php - for IR Reverb processing for many years, including high SR projects with multiple instances (for surround) installed as regular VST plugins on Sub-group busses - nary a crackle.

I make my own IRs using Voxengo's Deconvolver - http://www.voxengo.com/product/deconvolver/
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.4/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.123
fl

Postby SoundKlang » Thu May 22, 2014 20:35

The task manager does not show extensive cpu load on any of the cores. The audio stream "stutters", it is not digital clipping.

I know the SIR from when it first came out as a freeware version. And years later after quite some testing the SIR2 became my favourite, too. For the most part the sound quality of an IR reverb is a question of having access to high quality impulse responses and spending the time to pick out and only keep the best. Also, a full IR reverb like the SIR2 offers a lot of possibilities the preset-only QL Spaces does not have.

But with everything I have to care for and which keeps me from composing, recording and mixing, I find it useful to have a reverb which gives me a certain sound quality I wanted to achieve.
SoundKlang

Postby DJS » Fri May 23, 2014 12:13

I have been a SIR2 user for quite a few years, using a variety of impulses from various measured and synthesized sources. But just recently I have been using Exponential Audio PhoenixVerb and I gotta say it leaves IR's in the dust for classical work, its really transparent and so many wonderful hall presets, sizes and options, just perfect for classical music. Works well in mutlichannel mode with PMX9_64 native.
http://www.exponentialaudio.com/latest- ... hoenixverb
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia
DJS

Postby klaukholm » Fri May 23, 2014 13:42

DJS wrote:I have been a SIR2 user for quite a few years, using a variety of impulses from various measured and synthesized sources. But just recently I have been using Exponential Audio PhoenixVerb and I gotta say it leaves IR's in the dust for classical work, its really transparent and so many wonderful hall presets, sizes and options, just perfect for classical music. Works well in mutlichannel mode with PMX9_64 native.
http://www.exponentialaudio.com/latest- ... hoenixverb

We have also found R2 and Phoenix to be rock solid and very good sounding - on par with hardware IMO!
klaukholm

Return to Pyramix Native