which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby mpdonahue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 03:02

stephanc wrote:Hi Mark and colleagues,

I wonder if there has been any update in the past two years regarding Masscore on a laptop. There are new PCI Express adapters released, and I wonder if you've further investigated in this matter. Now with Merging advertising on their website the support of the late MBP models with v11 and stating that Macbook Pro's of the last generation "seem to be the preferred laptop for on location recordings". I wish Masscore on a laptop would become reliable reality.

Thanks for any input,


Stephan

mpdonahue wrote:
I suspect you will be waiting a long time for Macbook Masscore....The holdup is actually the RTX driver from Interval Zero (Not Merging). We've tried all the available Thunderbolt to PCIe adapters and they all have the fundamental problem of RTX not seeing the Merging Network card. There was a discussion over a year ago about trying to get Interval Zero to use an OEM Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to work with the driver. There has been radio silence since then.

I run Masscore on my Lenovo W540 all the time. I found an passive (Has to be passive1) Expresscard to PCIe PCB on a Chinese website years ago. It is designed to allow use of an outboard graphics card on a laptop. The RTX sees the card just like an internal slot and it actually works pretty phenomenal on the Lenovo with the standard caveat about using onboard video. (High count DSD and DXD are not happy with Intel Integrated video) I recently recorded an opera with over 80 tracks of 192 on it and it works faster than my 2 year old silent builds. W540 also has Thunderbolt which I use for an outboard storage array.

I've ordered one of the Dell M4800 laptops with the integrated AMD Firepro graphics($1500 fully loaded). Will let you know how it works as soon as I get a chance to test it here.
All the best,
-mark
We've relegated laptops to native only use. I can coax my lenovo W540 to do Masscore, but it is not for the uninitiated. I can't send it out as a primary recorder with the other engineers.
On the merging site, they talk of MBP for NATIVE only.
There are changes coming in the Merging/RTX world. We are anxiously waiting for the new updates that will hopefully eliminate the Nvidia exclusion and the expansion of multi-processor support.
There was a mythical MBP/Masscore setup, but the constant changes in both MAC hardware and software made it a bit of a white elephant. The mid-2014 MBP/Iris Pro Graphics with Mavericks and bootcamp using a Sonnett Echo Express was made to work, with all the same onboard video issues.
I'm looking into NUC based systems this summer. Will let you know how it turns out.
All the best,
-mark
*********************
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com
*********************
User avatar
mpdonahue
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:20
Location: Boston, MA

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby jplaurel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 21:18

Hi Mark,
I'd be interested to hear more about anything you've learned about running Masscore on a NUC. Also, I have heard that Masscore can run in Native mode on a laptop with the USB key. Do you happen to know if that's true? The reason I ask is that I'm primarily mobile, but also work in my local area. For local sessions, I could reasonably bring a desktop machine for running Masscore. But for jobs where I have to travel, and Native will do, sometimes only a laptop is possible top bring. PMX is very expensive, so I'd rather just have a single license and use it on either machine as needed.

mpdonahue wrote:We've relegated laptops to native only use. I can coax my lenovo W540 to do Masscore, but it is not for the uninitiated. I can't send it out as a primary recorder with the other engineers.
On the merging site, they talk of MBP for NATIVE only.
There are changes coming in the Merging/RTX world. We are anxiously waiting for the new updates that will hopefully eliminate the Nvidia exclusion and the expansion of multi-processor support.
There was a mythical MBP/Masscore setup, but the constant changes in both MAC hardware and software made it a bit of a white elephant. The mid-2014 MBP/Iris Pro Graphics with Mavericks and bootcamp using a Sonnett Echo Express was made to work, with all the same onboard video issues.
I'm looking into NUC based systems this summer. Will let you know how it turns out.
All the best,
-mark
jplaurel
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 20:58

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby Thomas Grubb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 02:21

I've been recording this way for the past 3 years - MassCore editing on a desktop and DXD (up to 8 channels) location recording using the same dongle on a laptop.

I've recorded many sessions and a number of concerts (I still connect a backup recorder to the direct outs for concerts because I'm not that trusting!) - only issue being if the Hapi has changed sample rates, there'll be a click after 20 minutes or so, but this is solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the inputs in the mixer. I'm hoping this has been solved in v11...)

I had used a lowly Lenovo laptop, but now have a 2015 13-inch MBP with external Thunderbolt drive. Haven't heard the fan yet so makes for a silent setup that's not too big. I also have Logic on the OSX partition in case the Pyramix dongle dies one day so I'm not totally stuck.

Seems fine also in DSD256 which I've been experimenting with.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne
Thomas Grubb
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 02:20
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby fl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 14:52

Thomas Grubb wrote:I've been recording this way for the past 3 years - MassCore editing on a desktop and DXD (up to 8 channels) location recording using the same dongle on a laptop.


Is the laptop running Pyramix as Native, or do you have MassCore on there as well? If Native, is it the same license as your MassCore, or do you "reprogram" your dongle?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.122
User avatar
fl
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 19:55
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby klaukholm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 19:44

jplaurel wrote:I have heard that Masscore can run in Native mode on a laptop with the USB key. Do you happen to know if that's true? The reason I ask is that I'm primarily mobile, but also work in my local area.

A Sentinel dongle with any of the masscore "packs" will also work as a native dongle.
klaukholm
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 00:36
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: which laptop for pyramix/hapi

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 02:53

The Native Audio Support is enabled on my MassCore Pro Version 10 license - there's also Extended Native Audio Support which is not enabled, though I'm not sure what that offers. I can certainly record 8 channels of DXD on the laptop. CPU usage is quite low, and I think it's been optimised in Version 11.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne
Thomas Grubb
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 02:20
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Previous

Return to Pyramix Native

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests